Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fun Drives near Leadville

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Fun Drives near Leadville

Postby ryanmicj » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:00 pm

I'll be in the Leadville area in August, with plans to climb Sherman and Elbert, but would like try and hit a few other scenic spots and fun off-road drives in the afternoons after getting of the peaks. I'll be driving a Subaru Outback, so I'm somewhat limited, but I did take it up to Horseshoe Basin near Grays last year, so I'm not scared of rough roads. Can anyone suggest something that would be a fun couple of hours of driving with some good scenery? Would Mosquito pass be doable in an Outback? I watched a video or two on YouTube, and it looks no worse than the road to Horseshoe basin, but its always hard to tell.

Waterfalls, ghost towns or cool old mining derelicts would be fun as well. Thanks for any suggestions!

Re: Fun Drives near Leadville

Postby jchapell » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:02 am

If you're heading back to Denver at the end of your time, I would recommend heading back on 285 from Fairplay (rather than going back up to highway 70 via Breckenridge/Summit Cty). It's a much more scenic drive, and if you do a little homework along that route you'll find some interesting things. Not necessarily off-roading, but a great drive.

Postby schrund » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:34 am

You'll make it up Mosquito, and that's a good destination. You could go all the way through and come out in Alma and then head to Fairplay.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby ajkagy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:58 am

mayflower gulch and Tennessee pass are close by as well which make nice drives
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby gzrrnnr » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:05 am

Did Mosquito Pass ten days ago in my 4WD Tacoma - it is pretty rough in many areas and a solid Class 4 off-road trip in a few spots IMHO, and I think would be very difficult in the Subaru. Try Weston Pass instead?

Postby cougar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:19 am

watch out for gypsies

Postby CoulKurt » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:41 am

Do not do Mosquito in a Subaru. Good advise on Weston Pass, Mayflower and Tenesee Pass. Go up by Turquoise lake and find Hagerman pass. One more is Camp Hale area on 24 west of town.
A little less conversation, a little more action. -Elvis

Postby okclink » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:43 am

Slide Lake and the 10th Mountain Hut is an interesting destination and 4W route on the east side of Tennessee Pass.

Postby dnye » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:51 am

I agree on not doing Mosquito. I tried to do it in my stock 4wd Liberty and even then I was pushing the limits of my vehicle. (clearance)

Postby Alpinegoat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:13 am

CoulKurt wrote:Do not do Mosquito in a Subaru. Good advise on Weston Pass, Mayflower and Tenesee Pass. Go up by Turquoise lake and find Hagerman pass. One more is Camp Hale area on 24 west of town.

+1 on CoulKurt's recommendation.

Was up there in mayflower and saw lots of wildflower in the gulch. Hike from trailhead near turquoise lake to galena lake and get some scenic alpine lake view. Also look at the wildflower 2013 thread on the forum for some good scenery in the basins.

Postby TriMatt » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:27 pm

There is quite a bit out there:

http://www.traildamage.com/google_colorado.php

Zoom in on Leadville and see all the trails. I figure a Subaru could handle trails up to about a 4. Enjoy!

Postby ryanmicj » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:44 pm

Wow - lots to look up! Thanks for all the suggestions - and warnings.

Is there an active mine up near Mayflower Gulch? I see the tailings ponds in Google Maps, and morbid curiosity makes me want to check that out as well.

Next