Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourth of July TH condition

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Fourth of July TH condition

Postby Brian C » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:36 am

This is a stupid question but I can't remember how rough the road up there is. Has anybody been up it lately? How passable would it be for a passenger car?

Thanks!

BC
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Re: Fourth of July TH condition

Postby Jon Frohlich » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:05 am

I haven't been up there this year but generally speaking I'd say it's bumpy but passable for most cars if you take it slow. I've seen all kinds of cars up there in the past.

Postby Double Oh Seven » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:19 am

I was up there two weeks ago and took a subaru outback with no issues. Its a rough 2wd road and there were some 2wd cars at the th. a few bumps in the road but taking it slow a 2wd should be okay

Postby Steve Climber » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:21 am

How would it compare to Winfield and/or Stevens Gulch?

steep spots / gradual incline?
rough with avoidable babyheads / heavily rutted / washboarded?

I took a Sentra to Winfield a few years back which wasn't terrible from what I remember, but that was an old beater that I didn't mind running hard at times. New car is more of a creampuff and I'd prefer to keep it that way :wink:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby eskermo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:40 am

I drove up there Sunday and saw tons of tiny 2WD sedans that made it all the way. It's nothing compared to Stevens Gulch and the washboarding is not nearly as bad as the road to Winfield. It's not too steep either - pretty consistent, gradual grade. There are several sections where a smaller car would need to slow down and do some maneuvering around rocks and water, but it's definitely doable by most cars - just take it slow.

Postby Steve Climber » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:41 am

NICE. Thanks!
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Danny504 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:59 pm

Drove my 2002 Mercury Sable up yesterday. Road is rough as expected. I took my time and made it up and back fine.