Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt Evans Rd - Are you man enough?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Mt Evans Rd - Are you man enough?

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:20 am

Ran across this review of Mt Evans Road today and it cracked me up, thought you all might get a kick out of it:

“Are you man enough? Kind of an risky thing to do.”

Man oh man, I am surprised people don't die daily on this thing. It really is kinda irresponsible that they let people up on the mountain without really explaining to them what they are getting into.

I will say this, if you get lightheaded and faint behind the wheel, chances are you are going to tumble to your death. If you get sidetracked looking back breaking up your kids fight in the back seat, you most likely all plunge to your death.

There are no guard rails and very little "shoulder" on the road. You will have to move over for bikes and uncoming traffic as well as mountain animals. Swerved to miss those mountain sheep? RIP my friend. I saw zero park rangers or law enforcement/medical professionals.

Also, your phone won't work. If something bad happens, you won't get help anytime soon.

Here are my recommendations: Make sure your car is in great working order. Make sure the driver is sober, rested, vigilant, and in acceptable physical health. Keep disruptions out of the car. If anyone has any fear of heights or anxiety condition, leave them at the bottom. Bring a great camera and make sure your life insurance premiums are paid up.

It is beautiful and you will have memories to last a lifetime, but make sure you know what you are getting into. I recommend watching one of the many YouTube videos that show the road.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g33388-d145862-r166114550-Mount_Evans-Denver_Colorado.html#REVIEWS
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Re: Mt Evans Rd - Are you man enough?

Postby RyGuy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:41 am

its_not_a_tuba wrote:Ran across this review of Mt Evans Road today and it cracked me up, thought you all might get a kick out of it:

Here are my recommendations: Make sure your car is in great working order. Make sure the driver is sober, rested, vigilant, and in acceptable physical health. Keep disruptions out of the car.

Hrmm. I figured these were pretty standard things for a car and driver when on a highway or road trip.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

Postby Lemmiwinks » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:57 am

White knuckle driving with hands at ten and two :lol:

Looking forward to the sequel about Trail Ridge Road.

its_not_a_tuba wrote:Here are my recommendations: Make sure your car is in great working order. Make sure the driver is sober, rested, vigilant, and in acceptable physical health. Keep disruptions out of the car.

Nah, Mt Evans Rd is where I like to go after five beers, two hours of sleep, and with screaming teenagers in the backseat.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby bigredmachine » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:40 am

Actually drove up there yesterday with my wife and kids. Fun drive but the summit was a mess. Cars parked all along the road down the finally couple of switchbacks because the parking lot was completely packed. With all that said, both my 3 year old and 6 year old loved it. Definitely some big drop offs driving down the mountain though.

Postby KizH » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:17 pm

This is the second mention of the Mt. Evans road in a few weeks, and, I've got to say,
now I feel better. I drove out last June thinking I would start my 14er list with Evans
and then, separately, Bierstadt from the Guanella Pass side as relatively short "warm-up"/acclimatization
hikes to prepare for Pike's Peak.

Ha.

I drive a minivan, so I sit relatively high, and I didn't even make it up the Mt. Evans Road.
A (Colorado native?) family driving down saw me stopped about 5 switchbacks up. I got out, they took
the van up, turned it around, and drove me the rest of the way down.

:oops:

I'll be doing hike-up (I guess Colorado residents would say, "walk-up") 14-ers for a while.
I'm tentatively headed out to try Pike's and Evans again soon and I've been steeling
myself for that road.

(In my defense, the next day I made it up out of Georgetown to Guanella pass okay.)
Last edited by KizH on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby rmd » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:25 pm

This is not a joke. I was more nervous driving (alone) on that road than I was climbing Longs Peak.

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:38 pm

Rode up Mt. Evans, Pikes Peak & Trail Ridge on my Harley this year. It's the only way to really enjoy the ride. SJ Ron :)

Postby Cruiser » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:27 pm

Last time we drove up the Mt. Evans road one of the kids got sick in the back seat. Now that something to be afraid of! :-D
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:42 pm

bigredmachine wrote:Actually drove up there yesterday with my wife and kids. Fun drive but the summit was a mess. Cars parked all along the road down the finally couple of switchbacks because the parking lot was completely packed. With all that said, both my 3 year old and 6 year old loved it. Definitely some big drop offs driving down the mountain though.

What time were you up there? My VERY pregnant wife and I drove up to escape the heat, be in the mountains and let my 2.5 year old girl "climb" a mountain. It was nice to be up there, even with all the traffic.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby jasonmiller » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Man enough?

I drove a 30 foot motorhome up Evans last summer, people were flippin me off left and right because it was so wide and slow.. My wife was soooo pissed at me :-)

That was my first time driving evans and would never do it again in a motorhome but once I passed summit lake there was no turning back...
"It does not matter how slow you go, as long as you don't stop."

Postby ThuChad » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:55 am

jasonmiller wrote:Man enough?

I drove a 30 foot motorhome up Evans last summer, people were flippin me off left and right because it was so wide and slow.. My wife was soooo pissed at me :-)

That was my first time driving evans and would never do it again in a motorhome but once I passed summit lake there was no turning back...

I remember cussing an RV last year. Maybe it was you? :)

I don't think driving up Mt. Evans was any worse than rush hour traffic in a big city.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

Postby peter303 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:40 am

My method is to focus on following the center line or edge line if I get vertigo. I can get vertigo if I ascend into thin air too fast.

Next