Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

La Sal Camping

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

La Sal Camping

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Any body have any special gems buried somewhere in the La Sal range in Utah they feel like sharing?

I usually camp down by the river but am looking for a new area and was hoping for something up on the loop or in that vicinity.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Re: La Sal Camping

Postby jeffmpls » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:28 pm

I camped last night (June 29) near the trailhead for Mt. Peale, @ about 10K, and about a 1/4 mile from the lake. It wasn't anything real special, and was quite 'buggy'.......mosquitoes and flies.

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Bet it was nice and cool up there - thanks for the heads up, much appreciated.

Postby kaiman » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:20 pm

It really depends on where you want to go or what peaks you want to climb. As Jeff mentioned there is La Sal Pass on the south end of the range. There is also lots of camping off of the Geyser Pass road or in Gold Basin. Many people like to camp at Oowah and Warner lakes and if you are looking to climb something on the north end of the range (like Mount Waas), I would suggest checking out Don's Lake and Beaver Basin.

The bugs are a bit bad right now in the evenings but go away as the sun warms things up. With the 100 degree days in Moab right now things will be drying up pretty quickly in the mountains.

Postby boudreaux » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:50 pm

There were lots of places along Geyser Pass Rd above the Trans-LaSal TH, the winter closure parking lot, Gold Basin has an area just north of the road. I think there was a meadow somewhere in there also suitable for camping. I slept in the car at the Geyser Pass parking lot. There maybe more places along the secondary spur going to Burro Pass TH as well. Moonlight Meadows TH, which is very close by Geyser Pass might too!

I bet all the snow is just about gone, even the north faces. Check out the webcam in Moab!

It was 107 degrees yesterday in Moab!
Ragin Cajun

Postby Scott P » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:10 pm

As kaiman said, it makes a huge difference as to which part of the La Sals you are going to.

Miners Basin, Warner Lake, Geyser Pass, Dark Canyon, Beaver Creek, La Sal Pass, etc.?

Actually though, most roads into the La Sals have good camping, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a nice place.

If I were to choose, Dark Canyon area has the nicest camping in the La Sal Mountains and it seldom sees crowds. The road is pretty rough though.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby ChrisinAZ » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:26 pm

Was up there last week...snow is indeed pretty well gone, aside from a few patches and cornice remnants.

If you're heading to Waas and company via Miner's Basin, there's a rather nice meadow with a stream just a few minutes up the trail from the upper 4WD TH. I know some of the area is private property (made a wrong turn and found a building with a "KEEP OUT" sign, but other than that I didn't see any negative signage regarding camping at the TH.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:05 am

Thanks Everyone