Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Huron 4wd road, Subarus?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Huron 4wd road, Subarus?

Postby JeffR » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:20 pm

chinookhead wrote:
traderaaron wrote:Thanks all, sounds like I'll tell my friend to park the Subaru and I'll come back with my Blazer for the camping stuff.

I do not know this road, but you may be pushing it with your Blazer if people would have issues with Subaru Foresters. I'm not sure what year Blazer you have, but the Forester is much more capable offroad than the late model Blazers, which just had 7.5 inches of ground clearance verses 8.7 in. on Foresters.....also the Subarus have better approach angles. However, if you have one of the earlier Blazers with an actual truck frame (essentially a Pick-Up Frame).......then those things are "beasts" with 10+ inches of ground clearance.

Most model year Foresters actually have the same or less clearance than a Blazer. In any case, clearance isn't everything. The Subarus, while capable, are still unibody cars and will not handle off-road as well as an actual SUV.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"

Postby Gphunk88 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:17 pm

I am planning on heading up to hike Huron tomorrow with my girlfriend. I was wanted to check and see if a Nissan Pathfinder will be good to get the 4wd TH. Any input will be greatly appreciated. It will be my girlfriend's first 14er and I'm hoping we don't run into any storms...
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."~~~ John Muir

Postby cory1223oh » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Can't comment on whether your pathfinder will make it, but even if you can't, the hike from the 2WD trailhead to the 4WD TH is pretty easy and there is not much elevation gain. I definitely think Huron is a great choice for someone's first 14ers. Hope you have a great time.

Postby rijaca » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:41 pm

The Pathfinder will make it.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby sheller » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:22 pm

I drove my Pathfinder up a few weekends ago and had no problem.

Postby rufhausen » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:05 pm

I had my 2012 Xterra up there today. Did not need to engage 4wd, but clearance is a must. A Pathfinder (except for may be that new one that doesn't look like a SUV anymore :-D ) should be fine. My Xterra appeared to be thoroughly enjoying itself there and back.

Previous