Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Huron 4wd road, Subarus?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Huron 4wd road, Subarus?

Postby traderaaron » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:58 am

My friend has a Subaru Forester and is meeting up there to camp and I am just wondering about the condition of the road. I heard it was improved over the last time I was up there but am wondering if a Subaru can or should travel the 4wd road up to the open areas along Clear Creek? If I remember right the worst of the road is before that open meadow area.

Re: Huron 4wd road, Subarus?

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:50 am

traderaaron wrote:My friend has a Subaru Forester and is meeting up there to camp and I am just wondering about the condition of the road. I heard it was improved over the last time I was up there but am wondering if a Subaru can or should travel the 4wd road up to the open areas along Clear Creek? If I remember right the worst of the road is before that open meadow area.

I was just up there with my Xterra, and my friend was glad we didn't take her Forester.

Postby JROSKA » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:53 pm

I was just up there on Monday, and parked at the 2WD trailhead with a Ford Focus. I do believe that I could have gotten a little farther, maybe about 1/2 mile up the 4WD road. However, at that point (before the meadow as you reference), there is an extremely large dip in the road (maybe 3 feet) that takes up the width of the road, and thus no way around it. It is deep, very muddy, and it looked like someone recently got stuck or had to work very hard to get out. It would take an awful lot to get past that. On the positive side, the road is very wide up to that point, making it easy to turn around if necessary. Sorry I don't have the exact distance, but I do remember very clearly that rough part of the road does occur before the camping area.

Postby Tory Wells » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:10 pm

The road is always open to hiking. :)
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby thebeave7 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:13 pm

I've driven it in my Subaru Forester, but don't any longer as its boarderline. The first time conditions were good and dry and no problem (very carefully), subsequent trips when the water is running those ruts get deep enough that you'll probably be scraping in and out plus there can be some larger boulders exposed, big enough to be a problem for a Forester. You can risk it, but just be aware, it'll be a rough go.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby SkaredShtles » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:41 pm

I'd say that it *totally* depends on how old the Subaru is. ;)

Postby traderaaron » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks all, sounds like I'll tell my friend to park the Subaru and I'll come back with my Blazer for the camping stuff.

Postby zdero1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:34 pm

I had no problems in my Forester in 2011.

Postby winmag4582001 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:43 pm

zdero1 wrote:I had no problems in my Forester in 2011.

+1
My Forester made it last year as well.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby swoodyut » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:28 pm

Friend made it all the way to the meadow in a 2010-ish Outback last year; I made it all the way to the meadow in a 2007 Rav4 at 10pm at night. But that dip is HUGE, and the next day when we were coming down in daylight I noticed people had driven around that and I followed suit.

Postby randalmartin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:55 pm

I was just up there 10 days ago in my 2011 Forester. Made it to the 4WD TH with zero issues.

Postby chinookhead » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:19 pm

traderaaron wrote:Thanks all, sounds like I'll tell my friend to park the Subaru and I'll come back with my Blazer for the camping stuff.

I do not know this road, but you may be pushing it with your Blazer if people would have issues with Subaru Foresters. I'm not sure what year Blazer you have, but the Forester is much more capable offroad than the late model Blazers, which just had 7.5 inches of ground clearance verses 8.7 in. on Foresters.....also the Subarus have better approach angles. However, if you have one of the earlier Blazers with an actual truck frame (essentially a Pick-Up Frame).......then those things are "beasts" with 10+ inches of ground clearance.

Next