Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping around Missouri Gulch TH

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camping around Missouri Gulch TH

Postby goingup » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:13 pm

My boyfriend and I are planning on hiking Belford, Oxford, Pecks and Missouri this Friday. We wish to camp somewhere around the Missouri Gulch TH on Thursday evening. I am not at all familiar with this area and was curious if anyone has any information on camping (I haven't been able to find too much, usually I just use books.) As well, I have read that the road to the trailhead is passable by cars like Acura's and Honda's but I was hoping for some confirmation on that?

Thank you in advance.
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where no one intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more......

Re: Camping around Missouri Gulch TH

Postby rainydayrenee » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:16 pm

Another great option is to hike up to the gulch (maybe 2 mi?) and camp there. You aren't allowed to camp AT the trail head, but soon after you leave the TH there are options near the creek to camp with access to water. But, hiking up to the clearing between Belford and Missouri was an excellent view (after you reach the cabin), lots of flat spaces to camp, and easy access to water.

Postby SolarAlex » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:18 pm

the road is good, just a long drive on a washboard road. I camped out right across from the missouri gulch trailhead last fall...there seemed to be numerous campsites along the road leading to the trailhead, so it should be pretty easy to find a good spot.

Postby michaelgrundy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:18 pm

You really are not supposed to camp right at the trailhead but there are plenty of sites along the road up to Missouri Gulch. You will be able to see areas where people have camped before so just use one of those. Furthermore, I was camping up in Winfield a couple of weeks ago and there are several more sites up there. You will find something, no problem.

As far as the road goes, yes, you can pretty much drive anything up there. Keep in mind that it will feel a little rough in a small car, but the road is just washer-board in most places. There are a few potholes along the road in a few places, but if you just take it easy, you will get there without any problems.

Postby goingup » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Much thanks. I knew no camping at the trailhead. We always set up camp in an already worn down area as to not disturb the ecology of the mountains. Probably camp along the road. Those four mountains in one day is long and I don't think I want to hike around with camping gear all day ( : Thanks again!

Postby huffy13 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:28 am

You might want to consider just going on up the road about 4 more miles and camping at the actual campground at Winfield. It really only takes a few minutes to drive back down the road to Missouri Gulch.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby runaroundaroo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:08 pm

goingup wrote:Much thanks. I knew no camping at the trailhead. We always set up camp in an already worn down area as to not disturb the ecology of the mountains. Probably camp along the road. Those four mountains in one day is long and I don't think I want to hike around with camping gear all day ( : Thanks again!

Did you guys head up? Where did you camp?

We are planning on camping Sunday night and summitting Belford/Oxford on Monday and are really eyeballing the idea of backpacking up to the treeline/cabin area. Any recent condition info would be great!

Postby goingup » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:18 pm

runaroundaroo wrote:
goingup wrote:Much thanks. I knew no camping at the trailhead. We always set up camp in an already worn down area as to not disturb the ecology of the mountains. Probably camp along the road. Those four mountains in one day is long and I don't think I want to hike around with camping gear all day ( : Thanks again!

We are planning on camping Sunday night and summitting Belford/Oxford on Monday and are really eyeballing the idea of backpacking up to the treeline/cabin area. Any recent condition info would be great!

We ended up camping along the road, there are plenty of spots. Take the advice of others in this thread and back pack in. It is a very long day (especially if you are doing all three) and there are some really nice camping spots at tree line. Back pack in for sure!

Postby runaroundaroo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:26 pm

goingup wrote:
runaroundaroo wrote:

We ended up camping along the road, there are plenty of spots. Take the advice of others in this thread and back pack in. It is a very long day (especially if you are doing all three) and there are some really nice camping spots at tree line. Back pack in for sure!

We did end up packing in. Only to the cabin, but so glad we did! I kind of forgot about how long that climb up was until we came down the next day...so incredibly glad I didn't have to do all those switchbacks plus the ones of Belford!

For anyone wondering -- we found two decent camping spots left of the trail just before the cabin and at least one beyond the cabin on the right. There is also a great camping spot off the last stretch of meadow switchbacks on the left side -- maybe the 4th switch back from the top? Someone was already there when we came by but it looked like a perfect spot! It was a stormy night with lots of rain but we stayed dry in one of the spots left of the trail below the cabin.

Postby sjverhaeghe08 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:06 am

This may have already been covered, but just to clarify...
When they say "no camping at the TH", does that mean you cannot park overnight and sleep in your car? (We don't have the equipment to backpack in to camp around 11,000, unfortunately...)
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."
Edward Whymper

Postby tjerasdave » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:35 am

I camped in my car at that TH a couple of weeks ago and didn't have any issues.