Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Guanella Pass Campground

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Guanella Pass Campground

Postby Nattyjoemo » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:10 am

I'm going out to do the sawtooth on Bierstadt/Evans and will be camping at the Guanella Pass Campground there. I know it is pretty high up. Has anyone camped there before that can offer some insight on what to expect? Is it super windy/cold, etc? We will be up there in mid July. Thanks for the information.

Re: Guanella Pass Campground

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:23 am

We stayed there once about 15 years ago. It is kind of high for a developed campground (10.9K) so a little colder than most, but it's treed and well sheltered by the terrain, so wind shouldn't be a big problem.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby curtiswm » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:30 pm

We camped there at the end of July last year. It is a nice campground with great access to Guanella Pass. There are loops on both sides of Guanella Pass rd. The sites on the west side of the road are more open with less trees and excellent views of Mt. Bierstadt and the Sawtooth. The sites on the east side of the road offer more shade and are larger. We did not experience much wind, but the nights were cold due to the altitude(30-35 degrees). We also experienced a rain shower every afternoon/evening. This campground stayed pretty full the 4 nights we were there. You can make reservations on some of the sites, the rest are first come basis. There was a campground host to assist you. We enjoyed our time there.
" Great are the works of the Lord... He has made His wonders to be remembered... "

Postby Nattyjoemo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Thanks for the info. What about firewood? I've heard you can get it there. Is that true? If so, how much does it cost?

Postby Cruiser » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:11 am

Clear Creek County is still under a fire ban. Hopefully it'll be lifted by the time you get out this way since we've gotten some decent moisture lately. But for the time being you won't need to worry about firewood.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby tjkeller » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Stayed there last Aug. You can buy firewood from the camsite host for about $5/bundle (assuming no fireban)

Postby bob863 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:34 pm

yes, we all enjoy campfires, but we've been in a very dangerous fire situation in the last month....fortunately, the monsoon season has dropped a lot
of rain on the mountains recently causing a lot of the fire bans to be reduced to Stage 1....

The best buy for firewood for your $$$'s??? Call a local Pioneer Sand location and see if they have any pine firewood available....if so, you can buy a bunch
@ 10 cents/pound....a much better deal than you can find from any campground host or from any retail store.