Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Parking on Hwy 9, Nth of Hoosier Pass?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Parking on Hwy 9, Nth of Hoosier Pass?

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Fri May 24, 2013 3:26 pm

Anyone know if parking is allowed along Hwy 9, north of Hoosier Pass?

Looking at the satellite image, I see what appears to be a pullout, but it contains construction vehicles and piles of sand. I also see some housing developments.

Anyone know if it's legal to park in that pullout or on the side streets on/near: Calle de Plata, Red Mountain Trl, Davis Ct, etc?
"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."
- Mitch Hedberg

Re: Parking on Hwy 9, Nth of Hoosier Pass?

Postby bergsteigen » Fri May 24, 2013 3:42 pm

I've car camped directly on the west side of the pass without issue. I think much of the area north is private.

Re: Parking on Hwy 9, Nth of Hoosier Pass?

Postby chrismjx » Fri May 24, 2013 5:41 pm

That's a busy area, and I think bergsteigen is correct, its almost all private land. That being said, I've driven up a road in the narrow valley between Quandary and whatever that mountain to the north of it is, I think Atlantic... Google Earth seems to indicate this is McCullough Gulch? Anyway, there are quite a few private residences along that road, but the beginning sections seem like they'd be OK for parking and if you continue following it up, it narrows and becomes more bushy. I've camped back there a few times, and have always seen others camping in that area when I've driven up. Not sure if its legal or what the status of that land is, but myself and others have gotten away with it plenty.

That's the best I can tell you about north of Hoosier Pass. I wouldn't think it would be "illegal" to park on Hwy 9 as long as you were using your common sense when doing so; maybe not advised though due to all of the traffic through there.