Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trailhead closure: Willow Lake/Sangre de Cristos

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status
Site Administrator

Re: Trailhead closure: Willow Lake/Sangre de Cristos

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri May 31, 2013 7:36 am

DaveLanders wrote:I just saw a press release that said it was ok to park at the FS boundary, and hike the road to
the trailhead, as long as you didn't obstruct any of the construction work. I have no idea of the
validity of this, as compared to what Bill posted.

Do you have a link for that release? That would be very helpful on the route descriptions.
thanks
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby SteveBonowski » Fri May 31, 2013 4:37 pm

The reference to hiking the road was in the original e-mail I got from the USFS contact (who I had been working with on the Cottonwood Creek access issue). There is nothing in the press release or the public notice that allows for access during construction. I suggest calling the Saguache Ranger District (number earlier in this thread) if one needs to be in the area prior to the scheduled re-opening on July 3.

Re Schrund's thought about another trailhead, there is supposed to be an old road that comes up to the Willow Lake trail from the south, and comes in well past the being-reconstructed trailhead. I've not seen anything and I looked both times last summer that I went up to Willow Lake. If there is any sort of trailhead in the subdivision, I strongly suspect it would not be open to persons not living there.

Postby TheOtherIndian » Fri May 31, 2013 4:57 pm

I couldn't find anything about the parking but the order explicitly states even being on the restricted area is a punishable offence!

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5421248.pdf
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby DaveLanders » Fri May 31, 2013 8:42 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
DaveLanders wrote:I just saw a press release that said it was ok to park at the FS boundary, and hike the road to
the trailhead, as long as you didn't obstruct any of the construction work. I have no idea of the
validity of this, as compared to what Bill posted.

Do you have a link for that release? That would be very helpful on the route descriptions.
thanks

The following was a 3rd hand email I got from a friend (the text is supposedly from the
Forest Service). I tried to check the link at the end, but it doesn't work.

FSR 949 and Willow Trailhead will be closed near Crestone, which access Willow Lake, Challenger and Kit Carson. I apologize for the short notice, as the contract was awarded late last week. The plan is to close the road and trailhead during the construction/improvement process, which is scheduled to begin May 29th and conclude by July 3rd. We did our best to bracket the project between the two holidays. Visitors can still park at the FS boundary and walk the 1.2 miles up to trails 860 and 865 as long as they don’t block construction personnel/equipment access.

See the attached a copy of the closure order and map

Willow Closure Order 052213 signed.pdf

Postby Lemmiwinks » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:19 am

It's my understanding that this road was recently opened on schedule. Has anyone driven it yet? How are the road conditions, passable for a 2wd?
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby drhansenej » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:40 am

TH status from 7/2 and 7/5:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/threport.php?recnum=3258

In short, the road is open and 2WD friendly.

Postby Lemmiwinks » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:49 am

Ahhh, I saw the report, but not the comment. Thanks.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Previous