Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trailhead closure: Willow Lake/Sangre de Cristos

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Trailhead closure: Willow Lake/Sangre de Cristos

Postby SteveBonowski » Wed May 22, 2013 3:58 pm

USFS has just announced that this trailhead; to Kit Carson & Challenger; will be closed to vehicular public access from May 29 to July 3. Purpose is for road reconstruction, installation of a trailhead toilet and new kiosk.

I've forwarded the e-mail, with attachments, to Bill for posting. Steve Bonowski

Site Administrator

Re: Trailhead closure: Willow Lake/Sangre de Cristos

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed May 22, 2013 4:08 pm

Excellent, albeit a bit of an inconvenience since they could have done this a month ago.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Wed May 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Probably a good thing, there is one spot on the road in that I doubt a passenger car could navigate. I remember seeing quite a few up there two years ago.

Could have given us a little more advance notice though.

Postby SteveBonowski » Wed May 22, 2013 4:25 pm

They just awarded the contract last week. There are some "historical hints" that stuff like this has to be approved through a central office in Albuquerque. I recall that there were some delays with contracts for CFI, back when I was active with that group. Bill is more up to date, now, about CFI than I am.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed May 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Below is the text from the press release. I've made this thread an announcement and also placed an "alert" at the top of each 14ers.com route description which starts from the Willow Creek TH.
Thanks, Steve!

============================================

May 20, 2013

Forest Service Road 949 [Willow Creek TH] closed until July 3

CRESTONE, Colo. – The Saguache Ranger District plans to close Forest Service Road 949 [to Willow Creek TH] and the South Crestone/Willow Lake Trailhead from May 29 through July 2 while construction workers make improvements to the road and trailhead. In order to ensure public safety, the closure extends 300 feet on either side of the road and 300 feet around the trailhead. The road and trailhead may be opened earlier than July 3 if the work is completed sooner than anticipated.

The planned work includes upgrading the rough FSR 949, modifying the trailhead area to improve parking and vehicle flow, installing a new ADA accessible toilet, improving drainage around the trailhead and installing a new information kiosk. The work is mostly being paid for through Title II funds from the Secure Rural Schools Act.

For more information concerning the closure and the planned improvements, contact David Hosack at 719-655-6122.

Postby SteveBonowski » Thu May 23, 2013 11:13 am

You're welcome. To give credit where due, I just noticed that Mike Blakeman from USFS also posted the notice on the trailhead status page.

Postby TomPierce » Thu May 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Too funny, they characterize that road as "rough." I got my low slung Acura coupe up that road twice last year with no problems, only one spot I even had to think about. Maybe they could fix the Como Lake road instead? :lol: Anyway, always good to respect closures.

Postby Nelson » Thu May 23, 2013 1:37 pm

Is this closed to hikers too or just vehicular traffic?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu May 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Nelson wrote:Is this closed to hikers too or just vehicular traffic?

I don't believe there's any parking at the start of the road, plus the closure extends 300' outside the road so walking might not be possible since there's private land all around the first mile.

Anyway...

For more information concerning the closure and the planned improvements, contact David Hosack at 719-655-6122.

Postby DaveLanders » Thu May 30, 2013 8:49 pm

I just saw a press release that said it was ok to park at the FS boundary, and hike the road to
the trailhead, as long as you didn't obstruct any of the construction work. I have no idea of the
validity of this, as compared to what Bill posted.

Postby larkinrx2 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:53 pm

DaveLanders wrote:I just saw a press release that said it was ok to park at the FS boundary, and hike the road to
the trailhead, as long as you didn't obstruct any of the construction work. I have no idea of the
validity of this, as compared to what Bill posted.

If so then add a rough 3 miles RT?
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby schrund » Thu May 30, 2013 10:25 pm

I've heard there is a TH in that Baca Grande subdivision on the south side of Crestone that cuts in to the trail - though I've never checked it out. Come to think of it, just after that 1st stream crossing the trail does go to the right as well as to Willow Lake (to the left), so maybe that's where it cuts in :?: (parking and neighborhood restrictions not withstanding)
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Next