Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Any suggestion about camping near Quandary?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Any suggestion about camping near Quandary?

Postby WSN » Thu May 16, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi All,
I am looking into climbing Quandary in the next one or two weeks. I am thinking about camping near the TH for a very early start.
Anyone has any idea about camping opportunities in that area, and especially at this time of year?
Thanks.

Re: Any suggestion about camping near Quandary?

Postby zdero1 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:19 pm

I don't know if it's allowed (I don't think it is), but I highly recommend car camping at the lower TH or upper TH if it is open. Either way, it's not a big difference in time. I don't think anyone would hassle you if you did car camp in the lots. I think there are some areas to camp in the forest a short distance from the TH but I am not certain. I know they had a winter gathering a year ago on Quandary so perhaps you could search the forum and see what others did for camping. Have fun!

Mike

Postby Mountainfreak4465 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:04 pm

I camped just up the road from the TH on the west side a couple of years ago. There were plenty of decent sites if there's just a couple of you. Not sure about the snowpack.

Postby Double Oh Seven » Thu May 16, 2013 11:24 pm

There are some pretty good dispersed sites about 1 mile or so past the quandary trailhead off of muccullough gulch road. Drive past the TH and you will come to a fork in the road take the fork to the right (North). Go down a hill for about 1/4 of a mile and you will come to a creek and a meadow with several disperesed sites. Not a bad place to go to away from the crowds on Quandary. If you reach the gate for Muccullough Gulch you have gone about 1/2 mile too far.

Postby mtree » Fri May 17, 2013 11:07 am

As of last weekend, there was a good 2 feet of snow on the upper trailhead road. A few feet of snow in the forest. Impassable for vehicles. The lower trailhead parking area was cleared.

There are areas to camp once you head up the trail. They will probably be snow packed or soggy this weekend. Another area for camping is a little further towards Breck. The Blue Lakes trailhead area. Lots of camping in there. As someone mentioned, you could car camp and I doubt anyone would bother you.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody