Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Deer Creek TH/Trail Conditions?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Deer Creek TH/Trail Conditions?

Postby dehrlich101 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:42 am

Does anyone know the conditions of the Deer Creek TH and the Tanglewood Trail outside of Pine, Co?

Thanks!
Daniel
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Re: Deer Creek TH/Trail Conditions?

Postby dehrlich101 » Sun May 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Bump! Did anyone get out to this area over the weekend?
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

LOJ

Postby siop » Mon May 20, 2013 7:34 am

I haven't been to Deer Creek in a bit, but I have been running nearby trails quite a bit lately. They're mostly pretty clear, with a few muddy patches. I live nearby at 9200' and there are still a few snow patches around, so I would suspect probably a bit more snow over there since its a bit more shaded than where I live. Not sure this helps much.
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson

Postby dehrlich101 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks!

LOJ

Postby sllygrl » Wed May 22, 2013 7:21 am

I was on the Rosalie/Tanglewood trails this past weekend. I got about 5 1/2 miles on the Rosalie trail before having to turn around. I was postholing up to my knees and higher (I'm 5 2 so its all relative) and couldn't really keep track of the trail. I went down and got on the Tanglewood trail and it was semi clear for about the first mile or so and then it again turned to snow. The snow was packed enough on that trail that I didn't posthole and was able to get past treeline without issue. I didn't go any further because I'd already been out so long - but I could have gone further and the trail somewhat cleared for a time at treeline. I also talked to a guy that was coming down who said it was doable if you had snowshoes etc above treeline. I hope that helps - I was pretty bummed I wasn't able to get all the way up to Quandary that day - it was a drastically shortened trip.