Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Early May camping

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Early May camping

Postby mckillio » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:54 am

I'm planning a camping trip for the weekend of May 2nd and am looking for locations along the front range within three hours of Denver. We went to the Great Sand Dunes last year around April 20th and it was about as cold as most of the people in my group could take, mid 20's. We'll be car/tent camping but definitely prefer dispersed/primitive spots. Any 13/14ers or good hiking nearby would be a positive. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by mckillio on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Late April/early May camping

Postby ajkagy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:16 am

mckillio wrote:I'm planning a camping trip for the weekend of May 2nd and am looking for locations along the front range within three hours of Denver. We went to the Great Sand Dunes last year around April 20th and it was about as cold as most of the people in my group could take, mid 20's. We'll be car/tent camping but definitely prefer dispersed/primitive spots. Any 13/14ers or good hiking nearby would be a positive. Thanks in advance.

late april is still finicky weather wise in the higher mountains. If you're looking for warm weather then I would suggest near buena vista/salida area. Lots of good camping nearby and plenty of 13er/14er hikes.

There are lots of free dispersed camping spots along the arkansas river and in the BLM land near poncha springs.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Re: Late April/early May camping

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:11 pm

I agree with ajkagy, late April in the BV/Salida area is pretty good. Check out Fourmile: http://garna.org/friends-of-fourmile.htm

I have hiked around there the several springs, even the big winter two years ago we were hiking dry 10ers in April. You can access higher peaks to the west of BV without much trouble from a base camp back here, or you can climb the two Buffalo Mountains (13ers north of Fourmile) - they have great views of the Collegiates.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Re: Early May camping

Postby mckillio » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Thanks for the responses. Some coworkers of mine recommended Turkey Rocks and Cathedral Spire, any input on them? We definitely want to have plenty of trees.

Postby peter303 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:47 am

Most of the National Parks and a few of the front range lakes have year round camping. I had an "itch" during a warm spell in early Feb this year and that was all I could find. A few more places start by Memorial Day.. But a lot of the Summit County and Indian Peak campgrounds dont open until mid-June. When the Breckenrdige Film Festival used to be in early June, I had trouble finding camping around there then.

Postby mckillio » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:48 am

So I'm thinking about somewhere along 12 mile road/beulah lake/Pueblo Mountain park for this weekend. Just trying to keep the trip under/around 2hrs and as far south as that permits. Anyone recommend any good areas within a few hundred yards off of a road and with good tree coverage? The more Southern exposure the better.