Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Quandary snowshoes? Avy Danger?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Quandary snowshoes? Avy Danger?

Postby my5sons » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Anyone have any current trail conditions for quandary? Looking to finally get it knocked out tomorrow? Snowshoes? UPDATE....Just checked CIAC avy danger looks considerable. Would love some advice from experienced please!! Is this something we need to be extra careful with on Quandary? I am do not avy training yet so would love some input. Should we just stay home?
Last edited by my5sons on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Quandary snowshoes?

Postby GregMiller » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:02 pm

I don't, but I'm probably heading up Sunday, so I'd love to hear what it looks like!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Re: Quandary snowshoes? Avy Danger?

Postby davebobk47 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:46 pm

Which route? East ridge will have no avy danger. Packed below treeline, windblown above. Supposed to hit 50 tomorrow with lots of sun so things could be soft/slushy later in the day.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality." -T.E. Lawrence

Postby douglas » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:54 pm

I was thinking about doing it this Saturday and skinning up. Is there enough snow?

Postby my5sons » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:15 pm

davebobk47 wrote:Which route? East ridge will have no avy danger. Packed below treeline, windblown above. Supposed to hit 50 tomorrow with lots of sun so things could be soft/slushy later in the day.

Yes doing the easiest the Standard :-D I was concerned because it said the danger is on the east side.

Postby cory1223oh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Was on the east ridge last Friday. Breck had reported 8" overnight and we broke trail through at least that much all the way too a little above treeline. It was melting at the lower elevations later in the day so things could have changed. Definitely enough snow to skin up. I really wished I had skis for the trip back down. Guess I'll have to look add backcountry skiing to my list.

Postby davebobk47 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:16 pm

I was concerned because it said the danger is on the east side.

Yes, eastern aspects are currently more dangerous however Quandary's east ridge doesn't get steep enough to slide. I have been there in winter where I encountered some "whumps" but the slope was under 20 degrees so I wasn't overly concerned.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality." -T.E. Lawrence

Postby mtn_nut » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:31 am

I hiked it as a night hike, and i just posted a conditions report

Postby my5sons » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:06 pm

davebobk47 wrote:
I was concerned because it said the danger is on the east side.

Yes, eastern aspects are currently more dangerous however Quandary's east ridge doesn't get steep enough to slide. I have been there in winter where I encountered some "whumps" but the slope was under 20 degrees so I wasn't overly concerned.

Appreciate the help. Forgive the newbie question how or what do you use to measure the slope?

Postby screeman57 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:21 pm

my5sons wrote: how or what do you use to measure the slope?

Many backcountry compasses have an inclinometer or slope gauge. You can get one at most outfitters for 20-30 bucks. Be sure to get some instruction on how to use it. I've seen some people use iPhone apps (I think they're for testing roof pitch).
Attachments
compass inclinometer.jpg
compass inclinometer.jpg (34.88 KiB) Viewed 308 times
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby carson_h » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:08 pm

I carry a Brunton clinomaster, but BCA has a free app that contains a slope meter. It works well if you can keep your phone alive in the cold.