Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Access to Southeast Pikes Peak(The Crater)

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Access to Southeast Pikes Peak(The Crater)

Postby Peakjumper » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:50 am

Hi everyone,
I'm new to Colorado Springs, but since I've been here every time I look at Pikes my eyes draw me to the Southeast side of the mountain. My question is what is the best/shortest approach to reach the cirque that holds the "Crater"? There looks to be a lot of rock and snow that is in that area and I want to go check it out. Wont have time to do so for a couple of more weeks but just seeing what info I can gather now. Any info is helpful as I'm new to this area. I have maps of the area but want some experience/knowledge from some people that have used the area.
Thanks ahead of time,
Joe Casedy

Re: Access to Southeast Pikes Peak(The Crater)

Postby Kevin Baker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:21 pm

I've never been in the Cirque yet, but I do want to explore the multiple couloir lines that exist above it. I got a good look at it doing the southeast ridge route. You could just contour south when you get above the A Frame a bit on Barr Trail and wrap into the Cirque at around 12100-12200' before the s.e. ridge starts getting steeper.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby jsdratm » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:23 pm

If I remember correctly, there is an official trail on the Trails Illustrated map that heads south to that area from the Barr Trail. I have never done it myself though.

Postby EatinHardtack » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:01 pm

I had a friend that climbed one of those routes a few years back. He said the entire cirque had a nice remote feeling (For Pikes) but the rock fall was awful. Got into the cirque well before sunrise and heard rockfall on the approach, then they dodged rocks up the entire climb. If I remember correctly he said it reminded him of the Elks with regards to the rockfall.

If you go post up a trip report, I'd like to know more.

Are there property issues down that way to be aware of?
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes