Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Suggestions for 4x4

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Suggestions for 4x4

Postby ajkagy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:26 am

dsunwall wrote:how about a trailhawk?

http://www.jeep.com/en/2013/grand_cherokee_trailhawk/

I know Cherokee's have had some reliability issues in the past, maybe they are improving?

the new jeep cherokees seems like any luxury SUV with 4 wheel drive, don't think I would even want to take it on any rough stuff, sweet car though. Nothin beats a wrangler or a truck for the really rough stuff. I've seen so many xterras break in moab and colorado from drivers thinking they could play in the rough stuff, so i don't really trust them.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby ajkagy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:29 am

yedi wrote:Carl, is that a Trail Edition 4R? Your set-up looks really good.

OP, I've got an Access Cab Toyota Tacoma, which I really like (though if I were to get an SUV, I'd get one of the new 4Runners). The bed of the 2nd generation Tacoma comes with a couple of notches at about 10inches above the bed floor. Those notches are perfect for installing a sleeping platform. It's a little claustrophobic in there with a regular height shell like I have, but it's totally doable for a night or two. I don't have any pics of that set-up, but if you google "tacoma sleeping platform" you'll see a bunch of examples. You can go as fancy or as spartan as you like.

Nice Truck! A tacoma might be my next vehicle, reliable and will handle roads stock that most vehicles would get damaged on.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby aiyers » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:04 am

ajkagy wrote:
dsunwall wrote:how about a trailhawk?

http://www.jeep.com/en/2013/grand_cherokee_trailhawk/

I know Cherokee's have had some reliability issues in the past, maybe they are improving?

the new jeep cherokees seems like any luxury SUV with 4 wheel drive, don't think I would even want to take it on any rough stuff, sweet car though. Nothin beats a wrangler or a truck for the really rough stuff. I've seen so many xterras break in moab and colorado from drivers thinking they could play in the rough stuff, so i don't really trust them.

I have taken my 2012 JGC on Imogene and Mineral Creek trails and it performed flawlessly. And, it did not have the fancy air lift suspension either. It is exactly one year today since I had the Jeep and had no issues w/ it at all.

To the OP: Go to a Jeep dealership and get into a 4 door wrangler with the rear seats folded down and see if you can sleep. IIRC, I tried that I was able to sleep in it and I am only 5'8". On the other hand, I slept very well in my JGC when I went to Maroon Bells last October to take pictures. I am surprised that not many peeps recommend Jeeps. Perhaps they are not lengthy enough for a person who is 5'10" to sleep in the back? I used to have a 1998 Jeep GC and that ran 170k miles w/out any problems (other than just minor wear tear issues). If taken good care of, any vehicles will provide reliable service. :D

Cheers,
-A

Postby JB99 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:45 am

We traded an 05 Grand Cherokee for an 04 4 Runner last year and remain happy with the exchange.

Grand Cherokees are really nice the first few years but don't hold up well in my experience (both owning one and working at a Jeep dealership years ago). My wife, who is about 5'9, my dog, who is about 24 lbs., and me, 5'4, sleep in the back of the 4 Runner comfortably. The Jeep made a good hotel, too, but the Toyota wins if not just for the simple fact you can roll the back window down when sleeping back there.

The Toyota is more capable off-road, more reliable and gets significantly better mpg - 17-22 - vs the Jeep's 12-15. Of course that's a Hemi vs a V-6 so you give up some (a lot) power, too. The Toyota has enough power, though. The Jeep was quieter, nicer, had lots of bells and whistles, more power, and more problems.

I've had a Wrangler, the Grand Cherokee, and now the 4 Runner. The 4 Runner is a nice combo of the two Jeeps - still capable and utilitarian, but more comfortable to drive on long road trips than the Wrangler and the added plus of sleeping in the back.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:55 am

I’m about 5’ 9.5” MountainHikette & I sleep in a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited. We move the front seats all the way forward and stuff the gap with gear. Some old fleece fills the crack behind the folded down seat back. Our Wrangler is basically stock. I choose the lower gearing option, upgraded the tires and added some under armor. Wranglers have a lot of possibilities for modifying. But for most trailhead roads the base model stock Jeep does fine. I can’t justify the extra cost to modify for how often I hike Lake Como! Also I speculated staying stock would help reliability. And the 2010 base model Wrangler was available without power everything which saved about $10,000 compared to most SUVs. We actually have roll up windows which is more convenient when sleeping in the vehicle.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby hotrod » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:22 pm

Several suggestions have been mentioned here. Forgetting clearance and short wheelbase as criteria, of the 4x4s that can be slept in by a shorter person, which has the best gas mileage?
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.

Postby yedi » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:51 pm

ajkagy wrote: Nice Truck! A tacoma might be my next vehicle, reliable and will handle roads stock that most vehicles would get damaged on.

Thanks! I've really enjoyed it. Ever since I saw Back to the Future, I've wanted a black Toyota pick-up. It's my dream car.

Toyota-backtothefuture.jpg
Toyota-backtothefuture.jpg (51.81 KiB) Viewed 411 times

Tortoise1 wrote: Yedi, you climb down the ladder face in or face out? It looks like class 3, at least for a person who just woke up.

Haha. I have to do it face in. I'm sure there are some Alex Honnold-esque ladder studs that can free solo it face out, but that's not me. Definitely at least class 3. And trust me, when nature calls in the middle of the night, getting the door open and making that transition from the tent to the ladder can feel as desperate as a 5.12 crux.

Postby pvnisher » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:25 am

Those car-top tents to sleep on top look great. I have trouble finding a vehicle that will fit me (6'2+"), and don't want a longbed truck.
But if I could sleep on top... Now if only they weren't $3,000. That's a bit of money for a tent!

Postby pills2619 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:17 am

Thats how much my five person pop up camper cost... Not quite as mobile however.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Postby fourseasoncyclist » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:59 pm

Definitely for the Jeep product. Their continued engineering has created as much more reliable model with a low cost of ownership. The Grand Cherokee will match a Wrangler through tough rock articulation unless the sway bar is disconnected on the Wrangler. Sleeping is much more comfortable in the Grand Cherokee, but the Wrangler is fine if you can fill the gap between the back storage area and the seats when there are down (yes it's a pain). You will see on many trailhead updates where Jeeps just get farther. EX. http://14ers.com/php14ers/threport.php?recnum=3074

Here are recent reviews:

Once off-road, the Grand Cherokee is pure Jeep, offering generous ground clearance, advanced four-wheel drive, low-speed stability and climbing power. Apart from extreme tricks like axle locking and disconnecting sway bars available on the Jeep Wrangler, the Grand Cherokee can pretty much match its counterpart on even the most challenging trails." -- Edmunds

"The Jeep Grand Cherokee's impressive on- and off-road driving dynamics come courtesy of its all-independent suspension. This setup allows a smooth on-road driving experience, yet possesses enough travel to make quick work of difficult off-road obstacles." -- Kelley Blue Book

Justin- Sales at Boulder Jeep :)
Justin Smith
Longmont, CO
fourseasoncyclist@gmail.com

Postby Justin9 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:13 pm

I went from a cherokee that I had to sleep on an angle in to a '13 Grand cherokee. The GC is significantly larger and more comfortable and i can stretch out in it. The cherokee was lifted with bigger tires and went many places, however in my experience, the new GC will do just as good offroad. Maybe a few more underbody dents and dings, but it is a jeep, not a Mercedes.

Postby Alby426 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:49 pm

Don't waste your time and go straight for an Xterra.
My duty, as a human, is not to take, but, to give!

PreviousNext