Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Suggestions for 4x4

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Suggestions for 4x4

Postby chrismjx » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:30 pm

I can highly recommend a 2003 Xterra... It meets all the criteria in the OP and mine has been nothing short of totally kickass since I got it new. I love the X and will drive that thing into the ground before I replace it.

Postby VagabondSurveyor » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:33 pm

I love my 13 year old Silverado. I'm 6'4" though, so no way I could sleep comfortably in the back of an suv, but the Silverado gets my where I wanna go, carries my gear, and gives me an easy place to sleep.

Postby Tortoise1 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:28 am

yedi wrote:If you're looking for a longer term mobile base camp, I can recommend the Maggiolina Air Top tent. When closed, it looks like a big Yakima box. When opened, it's an incredibly comfortable tent. Spent three months living in the tent last summer and never regretted the purchase.

Closed:
Closed.jpg

Open:
Open.jpg

Yedi, you climb down the ladder face in or face out? It looks like class 3, at least for a person who just woke up.

Postby iceman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:08 am

Find yourself a VW Vanagon Syncro. 4WD, rear locker, queen bed, lots of room for gear. The best camping/off road vehicle I've ever had. Much narrower and shorter wheelbase than the Sportsmobiles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1jbk1WbbiU&feature=share&list=UUewl8mr2Q56F_ygkwO99FCw

Postby USAKeller » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:39 am

powhound wrote:I would appreciate it if some of you could suggest a 4x4 that would...1) have enough room for an average size guy (5'10") to stretch out and sleep in the back...2) be on the narrow side to minimize branches scratching the paint and allow others to pass in tight spots...3) have enough clearance to handle the trailheads listed as moderate 4wd on this website.

In my biased opinion, look at an Xterra PRO-4X! I think it fits the bill of what you're looking for above. For me, the deal-breaker between the Xterra and FJ Cruiser was the fact that the FJ was too short for me to sleep in the back of (I'm 5'10" as well).
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby elhombre » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:39 am

Can't go wrong with an older Land Cruiser. Stock with some all terrain tires will get you almost anywhere. With the gas prices going up, people are dumping these trucks so there are good ones available. Just be sure to take the stupid running boards off at home and leave them there. That way you won't take them off on the trail and have to strap them to the roof for the ride home. I (luckily) learned this from other people's mistakes. I replaced mine with homemade rock sliders. The gas bill can get big, but if it gets you out in the wilderness, working at the job is all worth it. 8)
“I will tell you these are ammunition, they’re bullets, so the people who have those know they’re going to shoot them, so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won’t be any more available.” Democratic Rep. Diana DeGette of Colorado, leading congressional sponsor of a federal ban on high-capacity magazines.

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:45 am

If you like spending every non-driving hour wrenching and every driving hour wondering when the next issue will pop up, then a Land Rover is the best 4x4xFar. :roll:

And yet, despite all the crap that comes along with it, I still love mine ](*,)

Very capable off road with CDL locked. Heated leather and power everything for basic creature comforts, stadium seating so the roof height in the back is amazing. I'm 6'1" and sleeping is cramped (must turn diagonal - sleeping 2 would be pretty tough), but there are lots of expedition style roof tent systems.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby JE242 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:28 am

+1 for Land Rover. D1 or D2. D2 is a little more luxurious, and slightly more roomy than D1, but it also has more of the notorious Land Rover electronics issues (3 amigos etc) I have had a D2 with a simple 2inch lift for a while and it has got me everywhere I tried to go.

They are a bit cheaper to 'build' than a jeep and used ones are surprisingly inexpensive.

down-side. No way you are sleeping in the back of either.

Postby JE242 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:33 am

Let me rephrase that. There's no way I'M sleeping in it. My tent gives me room to stretch and sets up in under 4 minutes. So that' the route I choose.

Postby Cruiser » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:49 am

Another vote for an Xterra. I spent plenty of nights in my '08 before I sold it last summer. :cry:
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby winmag4582001 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:13 am

I like my Forester.
Good gas mileage and almost 9" of ground clearance.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby dsunwall » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:04 am

how about a trailhawk?

http://www.jeep.com/en/2013/grand_cherokee_trailhawk/

I know Cherokee's have had some reliability issues in the past, maybe they are improving?

PreviousNext