Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Suggestions for 4x4

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Suggestions for 4x4

Postby thevagabond » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:41 am

mtngoat wrote:I'm selling my 2004 Grand Cherokee, V8, tow, leather, split rear seats. Lemme know if you're interested. :-)

How much? My jeep was stolen last night, so it looks i'll be needing a new one.

Postby Ross M G » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:37 am

I've got on 03 4runner. I'm 6'1" and fit perfectly for sleeping. just take out the rear seat. It takes less than a minute (just keep a ratchet with the right socket in the seat pocket). Some people change the seat bolts out for wingnuts that can be removed by hand. Great vehicle. 200k on mine and going strong. No issues ever.

Postby PaliKona » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:47 pm

Beginning to look at buying an SUV this spring/summer - primarily I am really looking for a reliable, safe vehicle that can also take me up to THs. It seems like a 4Runner or Xterra is highly recommended here. I drove a Xterra back in 2003 and felt it was really tall with a narrow wheelbase - ie. easy to tip or rollover. Thoughts about this 11 years later? Have they changed?

Are there other SUVs you'd recommend? I'm open to models built on car platforms like the Highlander, MDX, etc.

Thanks

Postby Tortoise1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:30 pm

PaliKona wrote: I'm open to models built on car platforms like the Highlander, MDX, etc.

But you said you wanted to get to some trailheads. 4Runner and Xterra really are a cut above. I love my Wrangler but it's crude in the city. I've never heard of a rollover problem on Xterras. There's lots of times when narrow is good.

Postby JTOlson26 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:47 am

I'll continue to echo my support of the 4runner. I haven't done a ton of research on the 5th gens (or 4th gens for that matter) but my 2000 4runner (1996-2002 was the 3rd gen) is going strong and I love it. Nearly completely stock, other than removal of the running boards and adding a transmission cooler, it can take me to almost any TH and is still good out on the hwy.

Driving an average of 70 mph (yes, I'm a speed junkie too but have learned to tone it down for better MPG) I can get between 20-22 MPG.

She currently has 225,000 miles on her and I have no hesitation to drive anywhere. I'm currently planning an 8,000 mile road trip with a buddy and my 4runner is the vehicle of choice. Routine maintenance will get you a long way with these vehicles. I just replaced the timing belt and water pump and am expecting another 100,000+ miles out of the engine! Knock on wood, of course.

I can sleep in it, carry anything I need, and still have room to spare.

There's my plug for the 4runner, especially if you're looking for a used one...go with the 3rd gen model!

Best of luck.

JT
Last edited by JTOlson26 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby jmanner » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:48 am

XTERRA Pro-4X! $10,000 less than a 4runner and just as good or better off road.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock

Postby Wellsy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:16 am

First post \:D/

I bought a 2013 4Runner Limited last August and love it. We've had some big snows this year and it has been unstoppable. Expensive? Yes, but the reliability, resale value, off road capability, cargo space etc. of the 4Runner make a strong argument for paying a premium.

Postby COBuckeye » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:45 am

Another plug for 4Runners...I have a 2003 (4th generation). Looks a bit more like a grocery getter than the 3rd generation, but still very capable, I drove to the upper S. Colony Lakes TH (before it was closed) with no problem. I have 290,000 miles right now and it shows no signs of slowing down. Even the interior is still nice and solid with no rattles, and all the electronics still work. All I have done is routine maintenance. I get about 19mph combined with BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires.

I also used to have a 1994 (2nd generation). I had 205,000miles on this one, but it was leaking oil from the head gasket (V6) which is a notorious problem for this generation. Keep that in mind if you are looking for 1989-1995. Despite this issue, this vehicle (stock) was better than my 4th gen and my FJ off road. Stock ground clearance is amazing (read: never hit a rock, and I am not a great driver) and low gear was great for crawling up or down steep slopes. Gas mileage sucked (17mph) and it rode rough on-road.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby jmanner » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:47 am

Question is do you want a soccer practice SUV(4Runner) or a SUV which is actually made to go off road(clearly the Xterra).

Yes, Yes, Yes the 4runner used to be a great vehicle and then Suburban America emasculated it.

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:23 pm

jmanner wrote:Question is do you want a soccer practice SUV(4Runner) or a SUV which is actually made to go off road(clearly the Xterra).

Yes, Yes, Yes the 4runner used to be a great vehicle and then Suburban America emasculated it.

Easy now, the 4Runner Trail edition is certainly a capable off road vehicle, arguably better than the Xterra if you pony up and get the KDSS suspension. Problem is that it will cost you $40 grrrs at that point. The X is a far better value and it's smaller size makes it more manageable on Colorado's narrow trails. The 4Runner is still a great vehicle and I give props to Toyota for not sending it the way of most SUVs such as the Pathfinder or Explorer.

This is coming from a proud Xterra owner BTW.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby jmanner » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:40 pm

its_not_a_tuba wrote:
jmanner wrote:Question is do you want a soccer practice SUV(4Runner) or a SUV which is actually made to go off road(clearly the Xterra).

Easy now, the 4Runner Trail edition is certainly a capable off road vehicle, arguably better than the Xterra if you pony up and get the KDSS suspension. Problem is that it will cost you $40 grrrs at that point. The X is a far better value and it's smaller size makes it more manageable on Colorado's narrow trails. The 4Runner is still a great vehicle and I give props to Toyota for not sending it the way of most SUVs such as the Pathfinder or Explorer.

This is coming from a proud Xterra owner BTW.
I actually like the 4runner, it just costs a lot, the headlight styling is weird and is pretty big. Hell its bigger than the monarch of all SUVs, the old Land Cruiser from around 1995(prior to its complete emasculation). Frankly I was having fun faining hardcore devotion for a SUV. I really like the Xterra, but its low on accessories inside. If you can spend $47K, or whatever, the 4Runner is a great vehicle.

Postby SkaredShtles » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:27 pm

$47K?!? Are you f***ing KIDDING me?

PreviousNext