Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mercedes G 63 AMG 6x6

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Mercedes G 63 AMG 6x6

Postby sad2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:28 pm

I'd like to see this tackle Lake Como Rd.

Check out the photos in the below link.

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2013/03/15/mercedes-reveals-six-wheel-pickup-for-driving-off-road/?mod=WSJBlog&mod=WSJ_autoIndustry_Driversseat

For people who thought the squared-off Mercedes-Benz G-Class sport-utility vehicle, also known as the gelandewagen or G-Wagen, was over-the-top, the German car makers latest show truck might make the standard “G” seem tame.

Mercedes unveiled what it calls a near-series show model, the G 63 AMG 6×6, which has a 544-horsepower turbocharged V8 engine, two rear axles and six-wheel drive. The term “near-series” means the company could easily build the vehicle on a production line. A company spokesman said if the truck were to ever enter production it would probably be built in significantly limited numbers.

Essentially a familiar G-Class, stretched to accommodate the second rear axle and configured as crew-cab pickup truck, the 6×6 is designed for extreme off-road driving on sand, rocks and other rough terrain. Mercedes calls the more than three-ton beast “the last word in forward-thrusting power far from the beaten track.”

To boost its off-road performance, the 6×6 has a low-range gear ratio, five differential locks that can be operated on the move and portal axles that increase ground clearance. The vehicle also has a tire-pressure control system that adjustment of pressure in the vehicle’s 37-inch tires while it is running. It can also ford water up to a meter deep.

But the company said the show vehicle is not modeled after Dakar-Rally style off-road racing machines. The G 63 AMG 6×6 comes with a range of luxury features including a richly appointed interior with four individual seats and a cargo bed lined with bamboo.

Re: Mercedes G 63 AMG 6×6

Postby Waggs » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:39 pm

This is the only Mercedes I'd care to ever own:

It's the "Jeep" of the truck world.

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby dsunwall » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:51 pm

I think they might be too big for most Colorado 4wd roads. Can they make a tight corner of a sharp switchback? I can't see these vehicles of being much use most places in the the US. Maybe Africa? Where exactly would you make good use of one?

Postby Doug Shaw » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:17 pm

It must be the most awesome job in the world to be on the design team for these kinds of ridiculous vanitymobiles.

"You're going to give me huge budget to design a niche vehicle that may only sell a few hundred or thousand units, implying there's no real pressure for a return on your investment? WHERE DO I SIGN?!"

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:56 am

dsunwall wrote:I think they might be too big for most Colorado 4wd roads. Can they make a tight corner of a sharp switchback? I can't see these vehicles of being much use most places in the the US. Maybe Africa? Where exactly would you make good use of one?

Stay at home Mom from Cherry Hills.

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:16 am

Hmm, no mention of gas mileage. It might appeal to the same guys who bought the full-size Hummers. There seems to be a huge demand for giant pickup trucks among guys who just drive them to their office jobs around here.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby dsunwall » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:41 am

dsunwall wrote:I think they might be too big for most Colorado 4wd roads. Can they make a tight corner of a sharp switchback? I can't see these vehicles of being much use most places in the the US. Maybe Africa? Where exactly would you make good use of one?

ok, I know now, Hollywood. http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1078929_arnold-schwarzenegger-drops-hummer-for-a-mercedes-unimog-video

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/04/22/mercedes-benz-unimog-gets-new-look-engines-for-2013/?intcmp=obnetwork

Postby JTOlson26 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:51 am

The center of gravity on some of these things has to be sub-optimal for certain TH access. I think they would be more preferred in the desert.

Postby Carl » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:30 am

lordhelmut wrote:Stay at home Mom from Cherry Hills.

At $457,000 I think they're more targeting the Saudi and UAE prince folk. When dropping $500k on a 10th car is no big deal and you've got thousands of miles of dunes to explore, why not.

Last edited by Carl on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:33 am

dsunwall wrote:I think they might be too big for most Colorado 4wd roads. Can they make a tight corner of a sharp switchback? ...

Hell, my 4-Door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon has to 6-point turn some of the tighter switchbacks here - that thing may not even have enough room to back up to redirect.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby CO Native » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 am

I prefer the Marauder still:
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Carl » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:41 am

The Marauder clip is pretty entertaining. It's likely another example of an answer to the question of what do you get the man (e.g. Al Waleed Bin Talal) who already owns over 300 cars.

Next