Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

MT. LINDSEY Camping late April?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

MT. LINDSEY Camping late April?

Postby Kameronatm » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:58 am

Hello All,

We will be climbing Lindsey in late April and I can't seem to find any information on permits for camping near the mountain and/or information on parking. My concern is if the road is snowed in, will we have to park on private land and risk getting fined or towed?

thanks for your help!

Re: MT. LINDSEY Camping late April?

Postby Cruiser » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:11 am

Lindsey is in the National Forest so no permit is needed for overnight camping though there are some restrictions on the size of your group since it's in a designated wilderness area. Parking is going to be more difficult though since the portion of the road that is plowed/packed during the winter is on private property. Sometimes it's pretty difficult to find a spot to park that won't obstruct other people's access when things are snowy. Chances are good that you'll have to make a game time decision, but I'd be very surprised if you could drive all the way to the summer trailhead at the end of April.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby DaveLanders » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:37 pm

There is a State Wildlife Area just before the private land where you can park. However, you will then have about 5 miles each way to
add to your trip. Look for winter time trip reports on this site for how various people have dealt with this.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:35 pm

DaveLanders wrote:There is a State Wildlife Area just before the private land where you can park. However, you will then have about 5 miles each way to
add to your trip. Look for winter time trip reports on this site for how various people have dealt with this.

I parked at the SWA last month. Came to about 22 miles RT. It's around 7 miles from the Summer TH according to TOPO.

Good point about how to deal with it. I got stupid and threw the bike in the car. To my surprise, it worked.
The road swings to southern exposure after the first couple of miles, and stays dry or nearly dry for almost 2 more miles after that.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13282&start=30&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

Should be a fun trip. Water in the meadow may be open in late April - might consider bringing a light fly rod.

Postby globreal » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:05 pm

Kameronatm wrote:Hello All,

We will be climbing Lindsey in late April and I can't seem to find any information on permits for camping near the mountain and/or information on parking. My concern is if the road is snowed in, will we have to park on private land and risk getting fined or towed?

thanks for your help!

When I climbed Lindsey it was in May....and that meant lots o' snow on the road. If you are going in late April, my guess is you can pretty much plan on the road being inaccessible way below the summer TH. So plan on snow shoeing/skiing in. And when we came down that day....we encountered a post holing nightmare. You may not have that in April, but be prepare for lots of snow that time of year.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby Kameronatm » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks for the advice! We will definitely be bringing the snow shoes now. Do y'all know if a short ice climb would be nearby anywhere?

Postby nyker » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:54 pm

I tried this last April and had the same question - You can park in the dirt lot before the Singing River Ranch, assuming there is no snow there. Yes, you will have a nice 6.2 mile hike up to the summer trailhead from there. The next public parking is past the private lands which will likely have snow then.

When hiking up, pay attention to the route as it enters the forest after the stream crossings and after it starts to steepen - with all the snow obscuring the route it is a bit confusing.