Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

4th of July trailhead conditions?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: 4th of July trailhead conditions?

Postby yetibreath » Thu May 16, 2013 1:04 pm

OOPS, the 4TH of July road did not open yesterday as I predicted. I called my contacts with county roads and the sheriffs department and they didn't have any useful information. I decided to drive up there for a first hand look and here is what I found: The road is closed at the end of the pavement at the west end of the town of Eldora. They appear to be using a tracked vehicle, probably a bulldozer, which would suggest that they are not just clearing snow, but are also working on the road bed. This will take a little longer than just removing the snow, but it is much easier to do this work now before there are cars parked along the road. If I get any updates from my contacts, I will post that information here.

Postby Sugar Madison » Thu May 16, 2013 5:30 pm

yetibreath wrote:OOPS, the 4TH of July road did not open yesterday as I predicted. I called my contacts with county roads and the sheriffs department and they didn't have any useful information. I decided to drive up there for a first hand look and here is what I found: The road is closed at the end of the pavement at the west end of the town of Eldora. They appear to be using a tracked vehicle, probably a bulldozer, which would suggest that they are not just clearing snow, but are also working on the road bed. This will take a little longer than just removing the snow, but it is much easier to do this work now before there are cars parked along the road. If I get any updates from my contacts, I will post that information here.

I wonder if it's related to the road work they have planned for the area around Hessie? They are widening the road and adding parking. Maybe doing that now, before there are vehicles to contend with?

Postby yetibreath » Thu May 16, 2013 10:29 pm

OK Gang, here is the update: The 4th of July road is OPEN. I only missed my original guess by one day, so I don't feel too bad. It will be a bit muddy for a while, but barring any more snowstorms, we should be good to go for the season. \:D/
4th-of-July-(5-16-2013).jpg
4th-of-July-(5-16-2013).jpg (62.95 KiB) Viewed 322 times

Postby ak47 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:47 am

Anyone interested in neva and jasper (if its in) anytime next week? Im flexible on days and weather looks decent later next week. Hit me up! Alex

Postby Liquid Shadow » Fri May 17, 2013 11:08 am

Wow thanks for the update! I have been waiting for this for a while now. The question for me now is if Skywalker is safe enough to climb?

Postby Gphunk88 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:35 am

Awesome!!! Thanks for that update. I will be getting up there very soon indeed... maybe wait for some more of that snow to melt a bit hahaha
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."~~~ John Muir

Previous