Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Yankee Boy Basin help...

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Yankee Boy Basin help...

Postby apasquel » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:17 pm

I have a Prius...this is a rough 2 wheel drive...I've made my way up some rough 2 wheel drive roads before in my car. What is it like in comparison to Kite lake TH? Also...how far should I expect to get on County Road towards Yankee Boy Basin in mid May (Yes, I know, snow conditions vary...but I'm looking for guesstimate). Thanks.

Re: Yankee Boy Basin help...

Postby lordhelmut » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:21 pm

From personal experience, I tried to get my Impreza wagon past the Governor/Yankee Boy junction, got 20 yards up the yard, stalled, lightly bottomed out and just parked at a pulloff at the junction. In early May, the road will definitely be closed at the gate closure at 9300 feet and there is a parking area there. In late May, it will probably be accessible to the Governor/YBB junction, possibly further. Anything past that junction is abusive to a non-4wd, non-high clearance vehicle, and its a matter of the amount of abuse you are willing to accept. The SJ's have been getting pounded lately, so if March and April get snow, like they do in a normal year, I imagine you'll be parking at the gate closure at 9300 feet.

Postby BKS » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:14 pm

Kite Lake rd vs Yankee boy Basin road.

In the conditions I went up each road the Yankee Boy road was worse. Yankee boy is steeper, rougher and has considerable exposure on the shelf section. I think the Kite Lake road has been improved since I went up it. We went up Yankee boy in a 2WD mini-van and bottomed out several times. A couple of places required several attempts. The bathrooms are the absolute 2WD limit - we didn't make it that far. Beyond that Yankee boy is strictly 4WD.

Postby dmdoug » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:24 pm

I'm looking at how far I could get my Honda Ridgeline and found some videos of the road up. Here's a series of 3 videos of a drive up YBB starting just before the torpedo Eclipse Mines. In the first video at about 8:55 the driver enters the lower trailhead parking area. The next two videos are beyond the restrooms and he ends up at the 4WD trailhead. This was recorded in August.

Postby Flips » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:17 am

I guess a video is worth a million words. Wouldn't it be great to have a video of the approach to every trailhead?

Postby forbins_mtn » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:09 am

I took my 1998 4 cylinder honda accord up there last year. I made it to the "Y" where 853 1B starts. I parked there, camped in the woods and took off hiking extremely early up the 4WD road.

It wasn't easy, but very doable. I was looked at like a complete moron because everyone else on the road are driving rented Jeeps and ATV's. But hell, I made it. As I hiked up the road I think I could have gotten farther, but there's no reason to chance it in my mind

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:19 am

BKS wrote:The bathrooms are the absolute 2WD limit

In 2011 I made it to just a few feet below the bathrooms with a 2WD sedan. Went very slow and careful and only lightly scraped bottom a few times, though like others said how much risk / abuse are you comfortable with. Got lots of strange looks from passerby's. Like others said, wouldn't snow be more the issue in May?
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:01 am

In the video from dmdoug, in part 1, I parked my Impreza directly at the 3:35 point. I tried to get further up the road, but was turned around at the 4:07 point (you notice a sedan parked on the left there). As you can see, there isn't a ton of road left after that junction to the bathrooms, and a high geared, low clearance, 2wd will have trouble with some of those dips.

Postby rijaca » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:04 am

Flips wrote:Wouldn't it be great to have a video of the approach to every trailhead?

No.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Indigomountain » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:13 am

FWIW, I tried to take my Highlander Hybrid up that road and it just didn't have the power/traction to make it up some of the initial incline. (I don't remember the names of the roads but I think it was where the sign is located that suggests you have a high clearance vehicle) I had to turn around and park by the porta potty. Which was fine cuz it was a nice little hike, other than the random exhaust fumes I had to inhale from passing vehicles.
"Peace, Love and Fresh Mountain Air"

Postby Matt Lemke » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:14 am

I got my 2WD Toyota Camry wagon all the way up to a small junction at 10,800 feet just below the bathrooms right before the road takes a jog to the right and gets steeper (which is 0.7 miles from the bathrooms). If the road wasn't so loose in that section I could have made almost all the way.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:25 am

Matt Lemke wrote:I got my 2WD Toyota Camry wagon all the way up to a small junction at 10,800 feet just below the bathrooms right before the road takes a jog to the right and gets steeper (which is 0.7 miles from the bathrooms). If the road wasn't so loose in that section I could have made almost all the way.

And my buddy ripped the oil pan out of his Toyota Camry on the same road. C'est la vie.

In my younger, stupider days, I took my Mazda 3 to within spitting distance of the bathrooms. Now I'd rather just walk an extra 20 minutes and save my car the abuse. There's a great parking area close to the 2WD trailhead at a signed junction, and the road is relatively mellow to that point. It's at the 6.9-mile mark according to the TH directions on this site.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Next