Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping near La Plata NW Ridge TH

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camping near La Plata NW Ridge TH

Postby paully » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm looking for a convenient camping spot near the TH to La Plata (between Twin Lakes and Ind. Pass). Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure I can find an informal site right around the TH, but figured I'd post the question anyway.

Thanks

Re: Camping near La Plata NW Ridge TH

Postby Paragon4 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:14 pm

I too am looking for one in this same location for Oct 7ish

Postby kushrocks » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:16 pm

There is free camping right at the trailhead and a ton more spots just down the road on the creek side. I've never had problems finding spots around there.

Postby jsdratm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:18 pm

I car camped at the trailhead, but there are a lot of cars going by right next to the lot so it can be annoying. I would take a tent down the road and into the woods a ways.

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:21 pm

Drive a mile or so down CO Rd 399 (the road that intersects 82 at the trailhead) towards McNassar Gulch. There are signs for "entering private" and "leaving private", but in the non private areas there are lots of spots.
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby traderaaron » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Derek wrote:Drive a mile or so down CO Rd 399 (the road that intersects 82 at the trailhead) towards McNassar Gulch. There are signs for "entering private" and "leaving private", but in the non private areas there are lots of spots.

But don't drink the water.

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:35 pm

traderaaron wrote:
Derek wrote:Drive a mile or so down CO Rd 399 (the road that intersects 82 at the trailhead) towards McNassar Gulch. There are signs for "entering private" and "leaving private", but in the non private areas there are lots of spots.

But don't drink the water.

So you're saying water shouldn't be red/yellow with polka dots? :wink:

Also, I cant recall the road conditions..but I'm thinking high clearance is needed.

Postby Paragon4 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Please elaborate on the high clearance. I drive an rsx :(

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Paragon4 wrote:Please elaborate on the high clearance. I drive an rsx :(

Not sure why google called it 399, its actuall FS 391. Anyway, the camping areas are along the way to this TH : http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailheads2.php?thparm=xx993201107230906

The spots are before the lower TH, so according to this Bill calls that section "Easy 4WD".

Sorry I dont recall better...been a couple years, and we were in a truck so I didnt really pay attention. Maybe scan the trip report section for Grizzly Peak A reports and see if anyone mentions the road.

Or PM zoomie83...hes camped up there and has a much better memory than myself.

Postby sjpwarsaw » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Paragon4 wrote:Please elaborate on the high clearance. I drive an rsx :(

I was there in a 2011 Nissan Sentra earlier this summer and were hitting rocks on the undercarraige within a 1/4 mile when we turned back - this was before we got to the trailhead. I usaully drive a 1999 S10 Blazer which would have no problem there.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:05 pm

Just after the Mt Elbert Lodge, can't recall exact mileage, look to the right for a large dirt area at the base of Monitor Rock. Should be just gravel and okay for low clearance vehicles. If I recall, there are some flat places you can pop a tent just in the trees over there. There is a second parking area for Monitor just after that on the left, but if I remember right not much in the way of space to camp.

Past the LP trailhead there may also be a few pullout shoulders, but more for "trunk camping" than tents? There is also a road to the left just before the winter closure gate that goes to a gauging station and there are several place to camp there, I just don't remember the vehicle clearance situation for that spur road, I think there may be a few potholes but you can probably get around them. There is public parking there for the Graham Gulch trail.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Matt » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:11 pm

Chicago Transplant wrote:Past the LP trailhead... There is also a road to the left just before the winter closure gate that goes to a gauging station and there are several place to camp there, I just don't remember the vehicle clearance situation for that spur road, I think there may be a few potholes but you can probably get around them. There is public parking there for the Graham Gulch trail.

This spot is great and there are plenty of campsites. I used it in August, and don't recall the road being rough (my recall can be suspect...).
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List