Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status
User avatar
Posts: 1739
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:47 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:09 pm

Abdra wrote:Perhaps the Porcupine took revenge. They tried to poison you as you did to them.


Yeah. That's exactly what she was trying to do. Poison the animals. :roll:

You're sharp as a tack. You should consider a career in detective work.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Posts: 22
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:28 am

Re: Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Postby Abdra » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:23 pm

highpilgrim wrote:
Abdra wrote:Perhaps the Porcupine took revenge. They tried to poison you as you did to them.


Yeah. That's exactly what she was trying to do. Poison the animals. :roll:

You're sharp as a tack. You should consider a career in detective work.


highpilgrim- stick the mothball up your crack where the sun don't shine.

User avatar
Posts: 1739
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:47 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:34 pm

Abdra wrote:highpilgrim- stick the mothball up your crack where the sun don't shine.


Hah! On further review, maybe you should consider a position in writing sophomoric comebackers. High schools all over the country might have a position you could fill.

Next time, try this one:

"Well, the Jerk Store called, and they're running out of you."

It works great for the slow-witted who are looking to get even.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

User avatar
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:11 pm

Re: Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Postby tommyboy360 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Mothballs... could this be a revenge plot by George James?
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Posts: 22
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:28 am

Re: Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Postby Abdra » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:40 pm

highpilgrim wrote:
Abdra wrote:highpilgrim- stick the mothball up your crack where the sun don't shine.


Hah! On further review, maybe you should consider a position in writing sophomoric comebackers. High schools all over the country might have a position you could fill.

Next time, try this one:

"Well, the Jerk Store called, and they're running out of you."

It works great for the slow-witted who are looking to get even.


Yo mama is so ugly that she looks like she’s been in a dryer filled with rocks. ahahaha!

User avatar
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:36 pm
Location: Brighton, CO

Re: Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Postby Greenhouseguy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:44 pm

A moth's balls are so tiny, I don't see how they could cause much harm to the environment.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

User avatar
Posts: 2046
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:39 pm
Location: Edwards (Singletree), CO

Re: Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Postby gdthomas » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:47 pm

49ersRule wrote:
gdthomas wrote:When I was at the lot earlier this summer, there were mothballs all over the damn place and they stunk like hell. It was one of the most annoying displays of selfishness and littering I have ever seen.


And that gives rangers the right to damage one's personal property instead of educating in a more reasonable manner?

Who knew that the champion of that pristine summit of Bross, and that bastion of environmental purity known as Vail Resorts would have such an issue with a few mothballs?



As your logic goes, my respect for private property rights and preference for Vail ski area somehow prevents me from expressing an opinion about the misuse of mothballs in the environment? Take a logic class.

Mothballs are pesticides meant to be used in a closed container indoors. Their active ingredients are naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene, both poisons. Used in the open, mothballs can harm people, pets, and wildlife by touching, ingestion or breathing their vapors. If you place them uncontained around a car while you're away enjoying the great outdoors, you have no way of controlling who or what they might affect. If it rains before you remove them, exposed mothballs can be washed away into nearby water sources. The use of mothballs is regulated by the EPA. Their use in Maroon Lake parking lot as a deterent to porcupines or any other animal is possibly illegal. The misuser could face criminal prosecution or civil liability if people or animals are harmed as a result of their misuse.

User avatar
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:00 am
Location: south fork, colorado

Re: Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Postby rocky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:11 pm

Turns out that using mothballs outdoors actually IS illegal:

http://npic.orst.edu/ingred/ptype/mothball/regulation.html

Unfortunately, when marmots or rabbits chew through a coolant line, there is a lot of very poisonous anti-freeze released...which will actually attract more animals (including dogs), and kill them in a slow and ugly way.

Has anyone tried using "oil of clove" to repel critters? Just wondering...there must be a better way. Perhaps chicken wire is the only solution at trailheads with this issue.
rocky
south fork, colorado

User avatar
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:51 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Postby jblyth » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:17 pm

gdthomas wrote:
49ersRule wrote:
gdthomas wrote:When I was at the lot earlier this summer, there were mothballs all over the damn place and they stunk like hell. It was one of the most annoying displays of selfishness and littering I have ever seen.


And that gives rangers the right to damage one's personal property instead of educating in a more reasonable manner?

Who knew that the champion of that pristine summit of Bross, and that bastion of environmental purity known as Vail Resorts would have such an issue with a few mothballs?



As your logic goes, my respect for private property rights and preference for Vail ski area somehow prevents me from expressing an opinion about the misuse of mothballs in the environment? Take a logic class.

Mothballs are pesticides meant to be used in a closed container indoors. Their active ingredients are naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene, both poisons. Used in the open, mothballs can harm people, pets, and wildlife by touching, ingestion or breathing their vapors. If you place them uncontained around a car while you're away enjoying the great outdoors, you have no way of controlling who or what they might affect. If it rains before you remove them, exposed mothballs can be washed away into nearby water sources. The use of mothballs is regulated by the EPA. Their use in Maroon Lake parking lot as a deterent to porcupines or any other animal is possibly illegal. The misuser could face criminal prosecution or civil liability if people or animals are harmed as a result of their misuse.


Note to self....never use moth boths. Never heard it explained that way; guess I'll be stickin' with coyote urine.

Paula - bummer about your car! I hope somebody didn't do this on purpose, but I can tell you K and I got plenty of death stares while he was cleaning his up.
Last edited by jblyth on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Posts: 1739
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:47 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:32 pm

jblyth17 wrote: I hope somebody didn't do this on purpose


It was clearly on purpose. The mothballs were carefully placed, about ten to a side, in her fresh air intakes.

So, if these mothballs are so heinous to breathe, she and I breathed them for days because someone wanted to make a teaching point. That sounds criminal to me. Criminal mischief.

Perhaps a sign at the trailhead explaining why not to do it would have been better?
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Posts: 22
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:28 am

Re: Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Postby Abdra » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:42 pm

highpilgrim wrote:
jblyth17 wrote: I hope somebody didn't do this on purpose


It was clearly on purpose. The mothballs were carefully placed, about ten to a side, in her fresh air intakes.

So, if these mothballs are so heinous to breathe, she and I breathed them for days because someone wanted to make a teaching point. That sounds criminal to me. Criminal mischief.

Perhaps a sign at the trailhead explaining why not to do it would have been better?


Moron. Servers you right. learn your lesson or get off the mountains.

User avatar
Posts: 1739
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:47 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Abdra wrote:Moron. Servers you right. learn your lesson or get off the mountains.


I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone who only has a half-measure.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests