Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Postby elhombre » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:02 am

Sounds like some passive agressive greenie thinking they are saving the world. Moth balls are just one of the lovely touches you get when you sleep at a trailhead. Kind of like a mint on the pillow. When I was at Grizzy gulch for two nights, I saw the vermin climb all over the place while moth balls were left in plain site by someone else. They don't work from my case study. Besides, being a Texan, I can say we just shoot the little bastards. Then we target practice on the vermin. O:)
“I will tell you these are ammunition, they’re bullets, so the people who have those know they’re going to shoot them, so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won’t be any more available.” Democratic Rep. Diana DeGette of Colorado, leading congressional sponsor of a federal ban on high-capacity magazines.

Postby nkan02 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:03 am

I have a plastic sealable container where I keep mothballs. I sprinkle them at night around the car and then pick them up either in the morning or after the hike and re-use.

Postby forbins_mtn » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:05 am

elhombre wrote:Sounds like some passive agressive greenie thinking they are saving the world. Moth balls are just one of the lovely touches you get when you sleep at a trailhead. Kind of like a mint on the pillow. When I was at Grizzy gulch for two nights, I saw the vermin climb all over the place while moth balls were left in plain site by someone else. They don't work from my case study. Besides, being a Texan, I can say we just shoot the little bastards. Then we target practice on the vermin. O:)

i simply enjoy how you use the term "vermin". this word needs to make it in my regular vocabulary

Postby TheOtherIndian » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:44 am

I was parked right next to Paula's car and had the same note. The other side of the note has some wilderness regulations printed on them, so I think it was written by the forest service. I too had mothballs close to my air intake and only noticed it after Paula told me her experience. I suspect whoever put the note put a couple of mothballs on it so that we notice and then the wind blew them all over and under the hood?

On a different note, the next weekend I parked there with mothballs and had no note on my windshield when I came back late in the evening. I removed my mothballs anyway but it was apparent many others who had parked there did not.
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby ameristrat » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:45 am

This story is hysterical - I mean I sympathize with your plight - but I'm going to have to remember that one!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby milan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:37 am

I don't like when people use such nasty chemicals in the wilderness. It is against the LNT policy and even if you pick all of the balls when leaving, some of it evaporated and stays in the environment. Maybe you are just even - you poluted the porcupine's environment, maybe you deserved to have your environment poluted too :) .

Postby rocky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:49 am

Paula-

Have you tried calling the USFS office in Aspen to see if, indeed, it was one of their people who left the note? Phone number for the Forest Service in Aspen is: 970-925-3445
rocky
south fork, colorado

Postby Johnson » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:25 am

When I was up there in August, I put the mothballs in 4 plastic sandwhich bags that I opened and placed under the car behind each wheel. When done hiking, I closed the ziplock bags and placed them in a tuperware type container for transport.....seemed to work ok and didn't smell up the car......that said, a mouse did get in the car and chowed down a half eaten granola bar that my daughter left inder the seat.

Postby mtgirl » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 am

Johnson wrote: ......that said, a mouse did get in the car and chowed down a half eaten granola bar that my daughter left inder the seat.

Oops, that was me, not a mouse. Sorry I didn't throw out the wrapper. #-o ......................... :-D
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby unclegar » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:53 am

I used to use the moth ball crystals but switched to the moth balls. You can set them out and then collect them the next day and return to the box to use another day. My experience has been that they are effective. I've shared this once before, but when I was in the Maroon Bells area back in June I put moth balls under my car and the guy next to me used critter ridder and he had problems all night with porcupines but they didn't touch my car. I suppose those that have a problem with putting out moth balls could just bring their grandmothers with them. :-D
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby Boggy B » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:31 pm

Whenever I find a note on my car I immediately slash the tires of every other car in the parking lot just to be thorough, then read the note.

Postby Abdra » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:50 pm

Perhaps the Porcupine took revenge. They tried to poison you as you did to them.
Last edited by Abdra on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext