Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bike to the summit of Mt Evans?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Bike to the summit of Mt Evans?

Postby TallGrass » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:29 pm

blazebo wrote:who the (BEEP) would walk a paved road up a mountain?

Maybe someone with mobility issues (crutches, joint issues, etc.) or visual impairment (e.g. blind). An injury or worsening condition may nix many 14er options, but not 14er desire for a summit view.

Paralyzed Man, Glen House, Will Climb Pikes Peak In His Wheelchair

Mountain States Chapter of the Paralyzed Veterans of America

National Sports Center for the Disabled (rock climbing)

Devil's Advocate: At what altitude does pavement become an issue and according to who? Why not move all the trailheads down to the nearest highway or put boulders in all the trails to up them to at least Class 3? Aren't there many 14ers which have been modified to make them more accessible for even able-bodied folk? Ledges cut? Via ferrata? Cairns? Train tracks were put over Rollins Pass (CO) and Eiger (Switzerland) has a train inside the mountain and viewing windows on the north face. Is it just a matter of balance?

Disclaimer: I admit when walking up from a parking lot in the Maroon Bells that I didn't always avoid the pavement or shoulder on the way to the trail.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby edhaman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:43 pm

To be accurate, the road to Mt. Evans is not completely closed. It is open to cars as far as Summit Lake. From Summit Lake to the summit parking lot is only open to bicycles and people on foot.

Postby blazebo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:13 pm

TallGrass wrote:

Maybe someone with mobility issues (crutches, joint issues, etc.) or visual impairment (e.g. blind). An injury or worsening condition may nix many 14er options, but not 14er desire for a summit view.

Devil's Advocate: At what altitude does pavement become an issue and according to who? Why not move all the trailheads down to the nearest highway or put boulders in all the trails to up them to at least Class 3? Aren't there many 14ers which have been modified to make them more accessible for even able-bodied folk? Ledges cut? Via ferrata? Cairns? Train tracks were put over Rollins Pass (CO) and Eiger (Switzerland) has a train inside the mountain and viewing windows on the north face. Is it just a matter of balance?

Disclaimer: I admit when walking up from a parking lot in the Maroon Bells that I didn't always avoid the pavement or shoulder on the way to the trail.

this is exactly why 13ers are better options now, there are not train tracks, paved roads or kansans on most of the 13ers
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.

Postby TallGrass » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:33 pm

blazebo wrote:this is exactly why 13ers are better options now, there are not train tracks, paved roads or kansans on most of the 13ers

Oh, blazebo. :roll:

Back on route, here are some cycling links for Mount Evans that might be useful. This one lists the grades, elevation and mileage and some more beta.

Looking forward to your two-wheeled TR, zoriloco!

Postby Mark A Steiner » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:53 am

TallGrass wrote:

I did, back in 1974. I didn't have time to make a full-blown hike up Evans then. After the hike I had to drive 1000 miles to Chicago so time was not on my side. Anyone should access a 14er or 13 with whatever means avails them. We all enjoy the high country, don't we? Most of us have photographs of our experiences.

I won't knock bikers who strain themselves up Evans on two wheels. I'm sure it is worth the effort.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby blazebo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:01 am

Mark A Steiner wrote:I won't knock bikers who strain themselves up Evans on two wheels. I'm sure it is worth the effort.

My point is not about biking it. Done that, never plan on doing it again. my point is why hike the road? Evans is a very easy hike from summit lake, great 9 pitch walls up the Aprons and the Black wall, classic couloirs in the snow, the sawtoot etc. it offers so much, why walk the pavement? if you wanted to do that why not save an hour drive and walk the mall parking lot? I am sure that everyone on the road was not trying to catch a plane to chicago.

Postby kansas » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:06 am

blazebo wrote:this is exactly why 13ers are better options now, there are not train tracks, paved roads or kansans on most of the 13ers

I call bulls**t.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby blazebo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:08 am

kansas wrote:

I call bulls**t.

ha ha. i KNEW you would comment colby.

Postby USAKeller » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:40 am

kansas wrote:

I call bulls**t.

Haha! Just because you don't like bump-humping doesn't mean the rest of us hate it! :wink:
-M
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby kansas » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:57 am

USAKeller wrote:
kansas wrote:

I call bulls**t.

Haha! Just because you don't like bump-humping doesn't mean the rest of us hate it! :wink:
-M

I don't want to hear it.

You turned down a chance to climb Gore 12ers this weekend so you could watch CU blow it! :lol:
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby TallGrass » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:08 am

blazebo wrote:my point is why hike the road?

That question was already indulged and answered with links provided <scroll up>. :yawn:

"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely [or ignore it?], and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence." — Bertrand Russell

Postby Mark A Steiner » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:04 pm

blazebo wrote:
Mark A Steiner wrote:I won't knock bikers who strain themselves up Evans on two wheels. I'm sure it is worth the effort.

My point is not about biking it. Done that, never plan on doing it again. my point is why hike the road? Evans is a very easy hike from summit lake, great 9 pitch walls up the Aprons and the Black wall, classic couloirs in the snow, the sawtoot etc. it offers so much, why walk the pavement? if you wanted to do that why not save an hour drive and walk the mall parking lot? I am sure that everyone on the road was not trying to catch a plane to chicago.

Incorrect assumption blazebo, but I had to DRIVE to Chicago. Sorry you weren't there to share the ride.

Walk that road and you can access Epaulet, "Epaulie" and Rosalie a short distance to the south of the road. Walk the other way and you can access Warren and Rogers. You get unique viewing and photo ops either way.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

PreviousNext