Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping near Grays

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camping near Grays

Postby Rangerat1 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:29 pm

Need advice on where to camp near Grays. Any thoughts?
C. Thomas Eisele
Colorado Springs

Re: Camping near Grays

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:36 pm

The trailhead has dispersed camping, just make sure you get there early if you're heading up on a weekend.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby USAKeller » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:50 pm

Yep, lots of camping spots along the east side of the trailhead...
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby rkalsbeek » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:24 pm

Even though it gets crowded, camping at the trailhead is one of my favorite spots to view stars. Lay down with your head pointing towards the massive wall of Continental Divide and it looks like a fish eye lense/view. So awesome.

Definitely get there early though.
Sous les pavés, la plage.

Climbing for Alzheimer's Awareness
https://www.facebook.com/1414ersforAlzheimers
http://www.1414ersforalz.org Raising awareness about Alzheimer's Disease.

Postby YooperJonKornely » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:55 pm

I've done this a few times recently... if you are able to get to the trailhead parking lot the evening/night before your climb, you'll be able to find a parking spot easily. This parking lot fills up very quickly and early in the morning, esp. weekends. There are campsites located directly around the parking lot if you are not car-camping. There is a section of the road though that has a large rut... a 4x4 should have no problem, but other cars you might want to be careful with this 1 section. Enjoy the climb!

Postby edhaman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:51 pm

The big rut was fixed several weeks ago. The road was graded and, unless things have deteriorated greatly in the last couple of weeks, is in good shape. I was up there on August 18 and saw 2WD cars at the trailhead, and other passenger sedans not far down the road, including a BMW.

Postby jmc5040 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:36 pm

We did Kelso Ridge two weeks ago and I can attest that the road is in much better shape than it was earlier in the spring/ summer. I would suspect that a 2WD vehicle would have no issues getting to the TH. The dip has been filled in some to make crossing much easier. I don't know many details/ restrictions on camping off trail heading towards Grays, but in June I saw some tents set up in valley east of Grays on the south side of the trail.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby Rangerat1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:41 am

OK sounds good. Hoping it is not too cold. So no need for reservations or anything you just grab a spot and are good then? Am new to Colorado camping and what not and not sure how everything works here. Thanks for all the help. Just did the first 14er last week Crags route to Pikes. Taking my wife on her first and doing Grays.
C. Thomas Eisele
Colorado Springs

Postby rkalsbeek » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:45 am

No reservations needed! It's dispersed camping, so where ever you find a spot that fits your tent, you're good!

Try to camp 100 feet from the stream though.
Sous les pavés, la plage.

Climbing for Alzheimer's Awareness
https://www.facebook.com/1414ersforAlzheimers
http://www.1414ersforalz.org Raising awareness about Alzheimer's Disease.

Postby bf31415 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:08 am

did G&T on Labor day and the road is still in great condition.