Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Silver creek/ Grizzly Gulch

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status
User avatar
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:53 pm
Location: OKC, Oklahoma

Silver creek/ Grizzly Gulch

Postby Marty369 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:40 pm

I've read both ways about the road to get to this trailhead, both passable and not in a passenger car. Anybody have any current info on the road to the trailhead? I'm going to be in a rental and cars are scarce this weekend for an upgrade.

Can anyone help me with info?

Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Silver creek/ Grizzly Gulch

Postby asorrels » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:53 pm

I drove to the trail head from Lake City in a 2wd Sububan with no problem. You could probably make it in a passenger car but there are 2-3 spots that would be tough!

User avatar
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:10 pm
Location: Way Up High In The Mountains (On The Alpine Loop) And Down By The Sea (In San Clemente)

Re: Silver creek/ Grizzly Gulch

Postby San Juan Ron » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:19 pm

It's a rental, go for it! :)

Seriously, you should be fine. The road is in good shape.

SJ Ron

Posts: 291
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 1:11 pm
Location: Boulder

Re: Silver creek/ Grizzly Gulch

Postby HikerGuy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:40 pm

I've always seen a car and/or minivan when I have been up there. There are no steep sections on the road, so traction/low gearing is not an issue. Your biggest challenge will be a couple of rockier sections. It will require careful driving in a 2wd with proper tire placement. And if Ron says the road is in good shape, then it is.

User avatar
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:29 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Silver creek/ Grizzly Gulch

Postby zdero1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:17 am

HikerGuy wrote:I've always seen a car and/or minivan when I have been up there. There are no steep sections on the road, so traction/low gearing is not an issue. Your biggest challenge will be a couple of rockier sections. It will require careful driving in a 2wd with proper tire placement. And if Ron says the road is in good shape, then it is.


Agreed. Also, a username like San Juan Ron definitely establishes credibility when communicating about this question. :)

I drove up Cinnamon Pass to this TH in a 4wd Forester and it never had to kick into 4wd during any section. I have pretty low tolerance when it comes to off roading and I found the road to not be so bad. In addition, the drive along the paved road by Lake San Cristobal (I think that's the name) contains some of the most beautiful views in Colorado.

I'm heading up there this weekend for a Sunday climb of Sunshine/Redcloud. If you see the black forester come say hi! I know you're gonna make it up there.

User avatar
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:53 pm
Location: OKC, Oklahoma

Re: Silver creek/ Grizzly Gulch

Postby Marty369 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:58 pm

San Juan Ron wrote:It's a rental, go for it! :)

Seriously, you should be fine. The road is in good shape.

SJ Ron


Awesome, thanks for the info SJR and everyone!

zdero1 wrote:
I'm heading up there this weekend for a Sunday climb of Sunshine/Redcloud. If you see the black forester come say hi! I know you're gonna make it up there.


Awesome, I'll keep an eye out. I'll be the okie sucking thin air who may be lost lol. I should get there Sunday some time.

User avatar
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:29 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Silver creek/ Grizzly Gulch

Postby zdero1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:03 pm

I'll be the overweight hiker huffing and puffing with a wrist GPS, so stay close! Getting lost is not allowed.

Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Silver creek/ Grizzly Gulch

Postby highcountryhiker » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:11 pm

Thanks for the update that the road is still in good shape. Drove my Corolla to the trailhead with no problems in August 2011 to head up Handies. Looking forward to hopefully being down there in late September this year for Redcloud and Sunshine.

User avatar
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:53 pm
Location: OKC, Oklahoma

Re: Silver creek/ Grizzly Gulch

Postby Marty369 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:46 pm

highcountryhiker wrote:Thanks for the update that the road is still in good shape. Drove my Corolla to the trailhead with no problems in August 2011 to head up Handies. Looking forward to hopefully being down there in late September this year for Redcloud and Sunshine.


A corolla making it makes me feel even better!

User avatar
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:53 pm
Location: OKC, Oklahoma

Re: Silver creek/ Grizzly Gulch

Postby Marty369 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:47 pm

Lucky me, the rental agency ran out of cars an offered a extended cab 4x4 for no extra. No worries now for sure! I did make sure to
Let them know how distraught I was about it.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobbyFinn, cghfranck, climbing_rob, lukePlumley, Mountain Ninja, sllygrl, thebugguy, Tornadoman, WDavis and 16 guests