Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby emohr » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:49 am

ctlee wrote:
Roald wrote:
edhaman wrote:Is it really worth the extra cost of fines and added insurance rates to get there a few minutes earlier?

Yes, it is to me. A decent detector and laser jamming equipment installed on my vehicle helps avoid fines, and I'll take my chances with Bambi. Heads up like the original post helps too, thanks.

Ummmm....you left out the part of his statement about risking death....I've seen dead human bodies in cars mangled with dead deer bodies that came through the windshields (former paramedic). Yeah, that's worth risking to get to the trailhead an extra 15 minutes early. Leave home earlier. Simple. And smart. Or don't. It's a free country.

Good point. Natural selection has a way of taking care of things like that

Postby emohr » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:57 am

Tommy Dorr wrote:
"I would like to thank the Park County Sheriff’s Department for issuing me a ticket this weekend. I don't always appreciate how amazing and fortunate my life is right now. Especially when compared with what these officers have to do for a living. They must go into this career truly believing that they will be fighting real crime or making some type of actual difference. Then they come to discover that the majority of their career consists of little more than being a toll collector for the much needed revenue required to keep themselves from being laid off. Furthermore these public servants are often found working weekends and holidays while putting in long and lonely hours. It must be a disappointing career to say the least. In comparison, I feel like a king on every level. I really do appreciate the occasional reminder of how fantastic my current situation is. Thank you Park County."

..... this is a joke right? Damn, you sound like a toddler who just got sent to your room. You speed, you get ticketed. Take some responsibility. What an insult to the Park County Sheriff's Department.

Postby nfire » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:00 am

emohr wrote:
Tommy Dorr wrote:
"I would like to thank the Park County Sheriff’s Department for issuing me a ticket this weekend. I don't always appreciate how amazing and fortunate my life is right now. Especially when compared with what these officers have to do for a living. They must go into this career truly believing that they will be fighting real crime or making some type of actual difference. Then they come to discover that the majority of their career consists of little more than being a toll collector for the much needed revenue required to keep themselves from being laid off. Furthermore these public servants are often found working weekends and holidays while putting in long and lonely hours. It must be a disappointing career to say the least. In comparison, I feel like a king on every level. I really do appreciate the occasional reminder of how fantastic my current situation is. Thank you Park County."

..... this is a joke right? Damn, you sound like a toddler who just got sent to your room. You speed, you get ticketed. Take some responsibility. What an insult to the Park County Sheriff's Department.

the park county sherriff's department is obviously collecting bulls**t fees off people by putting up confusing speed signs. government agency directly f***ing with peoples' lives and good nature. isnt there a pothead they could arrest or a mexican they could racially profile? oh they wouldn't make any money off that.

again, thanks to the op for the warning.

Postby emohr » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:15 am

nfire wrote:the park county sherriff's department is obviously collecting bulls**t fees off people by putting up confusing speed signs. government agency directly f***ing with peoples' lives and good nature. isnt there a pothead they could arrest or a mexican they could racially profile? oh they wouldn't make any money off that.

Can't tell if you're kidding, or just a dumb, ignorant racist... :-k

Postby nfire » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:20 am

emohr wrote:
nfire wrote:the park county sherriff's department is obviously collecting bulls**t fees off people by putting up confusing speed signs. government agency directly f***ing with peoples' lives and good nature. isnt there a pothead they could arrest or a mexican they could racially profile? oh they wouldn't make any money off that.

Can't tell if you're kidding, or just a dumb, ignorant racist... :-k

somebody is dumb here that's for sure

Postby Lemmiwinks » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:23 am

:cartman:
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby emohr » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:25 am

nfire wrote:somebody is dumb here that's for sure

Says the guy who thinks speed limit signs are confusing.

Postby DaveSwink » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:31 am

emohr wrote:
nfire wrote:somebody is dumb here that's for sure

Says the guy who thinks speed limit signs are confusing.

The speed limit signs with time/date conditions in small print are confusing, so the PSA is very helpful. The posts that basically tack on "I have problems with authority" can be expected in sport that demands initiative and self-reliance.

There is one of these seasonal speed limit zones between Boulder and Lyons too.

Postby somethingrandom » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:38 am

While the way he went about it was tacky as all hell, I can say Chaffee County from BV to Hwy50 gets absurd at times with the speed traps.

Generally I dont hurry for anything and enjoy setting my cruise control for whatever the speed limit is and enjoying the sights, I too received a ticket in the area mentioned above for being 3 miles an hour over the 55mph limit at the bottom of a hill with my cruise set at the 55mph. Sure, I probably should have been paying more attention and depressed my brake pedal but when all was said and done the wonderful Chaffee County Sheriffs office took me for $186-ish for being 3 mph over the speed limit at the bottom of a hill. No way you cant say it doesnt have A LOT to do with $$.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby TallGrass » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:46 am

djkest wrote:I don't like that the sign makes you decode the proper speed limit as you are driving by in relatively small letters.

Two common ways a NG verdict could be rendered is 1. evidence of non-compliance with MUTCD (i.e. can't be found guilty of violating an illegal sign), 2. no engineering study (arbitrary signage). The carrot of federal highway money was used to get states to adopt the uniform code. Prior to adoption, many states had unusual methods with Florida's colored signs being an oft cited example.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

(Instant) legibility is also factor. E.g. time needed to read in seconds (for 20/40 vision or whatever the threshold for obtaining a license is) x speed (60mph = 88ft/sec) / 40 x 1 inch = letter height. The size of the E in "SEPT" is about 72% of the E in "SPEED" but arguably has twice the info to digest in addition to it being detailed and non-standard (not instantly recognizable; uncommon). Additionally, one could argue in this case that the letter size or distance between notice and enforcement would have to allow for decelerating to the appropriate speed under various conditions (rain, snow). Putting a 25mph speed limit sign thirty feet behind a 65mph one will not fly. Then there's the effect of snow on the sign where smaller letter are more easily obscured which can lead to a mistake of fact defense, same as if the sign was covered by a tree.

Section 42-4-105, C.R.S., ... all traffic control devices ... shall conform to ... the federal “Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices” (MUTCD) ...

"Required minimum letter heights for word/message/logo panels: 8” for freeways/expressways"
MUTCD Law Changes Part V: Changes In Sign Sizes & Lettering Heights (2011-06-23)
Colorado Statutes § 42-4-104. Adoption of traffic control manual
MUTCD Design Guidelines
Last edited by TallGrass on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby pkripper » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:53 am

Drive the speed limit. It ain't rocket science. Take responsibility for your actions. A big part of the problem is people won't take responsibility for their actions. If you want to speed or can't figure out a speed limit sign, take responsibility and quit putting blame on others.

Postby djkest » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:54 am

Hey Tallgrass, thanks for your informative post. When we drove by this sign last time, we tried to determine how close we had to be before we could read the bottom letters. I have 20/15 vision. We estimate you have 2-3 seconds to read the time and date ranges before you pass the sign. Then you have to recall the current date, and check the time, before you can determine if it is legally "night". When I previously saw the sign that said "night 55", I assumed (incorrectly) that since it was bright and sunny at 5:30 PM on Sept 2nd that it was not night time.

You'll notice in that photograph the picture was taken from about 20' away and it's still hard to read.

pkripper wrote:Drive the speed limit. It ain't rocket science. Take responsibility for your actions. A big part of the problem is people won't take responsibility for their actions. If you ... can't figure out a speed limit sign, take responsibility and quit putting blame on others.

My friend IS a rocket scientist with a Master's Degree, and he said it was confusing (and he wasn't even driving). It's pretty easy to figure out when you are sitting at your desk or chair and you have unlimited time to decode it.
1) Check the date range- compare to current date - many people don't know what the current date is off the top of their head.
2) Check the time range- compare to current time - this is easier, most cars display the current time. This is assuming your car's clock has been set appropriately
3) Using both logic checks, determine if it is in fact "Night" time as so defined. IF (time is in range) AND (date is in range) THEN "Speed Limit Catagory" = "Night"
4) Check the "Night" speed limit, determine the actual speed limit for this time and date, and adjust your speed accordingly.

Most people can't do that in 2-3 seconds while driving.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

PreviousNext