Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby oldschool » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Remember.....no one HAS to go the speed limit. Feel free to go as fast as you want. You know the risk........a ticket, possibly a big one, possible interaction with wildlife and the consequences of that. Go for it....after all, who wants to be a whole 15 minutes late a trailhead. I mean, now that's just unacceptable. And I'm a good driver....I can drive faster than the posted speed limit. Please people........just follow the speed limit. Thx.

Postby djkest » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:52 pm

I agree that we need to slow down when wildlife is present, I'm not disputing that. It can also be hard to see at night when it's actually dark. It probably should be October through April. If you read the original study, they actually extended the wildlife crossing zone seasonal dates beyond the recommendation. I feel the fines are a little heavy, and the sign is confusing. If I would have understood the meaning of the tiny letters on the bottom of the sign, I would have dutifully slowed down. The whole "drop the speed limit by 10 and double the fines" is unreasonable, IMO. If it were about education, they could give you a stern warning, or even cut the fine down a little. Or make the sign more understandable, or put LED lights on it as some of the other signs have.

Next summer, they should have enough data to determine whether or not these changes have actually had a positive effect on wildlife and driver safety in these areas.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Marty369 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:45 pm

I almost blasted two HUGE racked deer coming into salida just a while ago. They were awesome looking, still in felt. Jumped right out then a third came across.

Postby jmc5040 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:52 pm

Marty369 wrote:I almost blasted two HUGE racked deer coming into salida just a while ago. They were awesome looking, still in felt. Jumped right out then a third came across.

The last three or so times I drove into Leadville at night to car camp I've seen wildlife just off of the road... it's almost a guarantee. Growing up near an orchard in Pennsylvania I hit three deer and have no desire to hit any more. I am definitely terrified of driving through that area at night and take it slow.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby HuskyRunner » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:09 am

jmc5040 wrote:
Marty369 wrote: I am definitely terrified of driving through that area at night and take it slow.

I can still recall how eye opening it was on road trips 3 decades ago when I first saw all the wild life coming out around dawn and dusk. To this day I try to avoid driving around those times if I can avoid it.

For me I'll take a little longer getting there, if I need to make up some time I would rather bust a lung getting up the hill, in the long run I'll live longer doing those 2 things.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker

Postby The Old Fart » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:07 am

Probably no one will read this deep into this thread, but after some very close calls on I70 and 91, I've stopped driving in the dark unless I have no other choice.
I head for the mountains right after work (which is 14:00) and pitch my tent near the TH.
Some advantages to doing that.
1. I get to walk the first 45 minutes of the trail that afternoon which, at least twice, has kept me from going off trail in the dark in the morning.
2. I have time to meet some great people who are camping or hanging around the TH.
3. I'm so old and slow, I need the 2 hour alpine start.
The moral of this story is that if you see an Old Fart near a lime green tent and green Xterra, stop by and say howdy. I'm not as mean as people say.

Postby djkest » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:23 am

We drove through the wildlife zone last Sunday in the dark. I obediently went 55 in the Wildlife Crossing zone. I was passed by 2 cars who were going probably 75 mph. We saw 2 deer by the side of the road. Neither person got a speeding ticket.

When it's actually dark, it makes sense to slow down through that section of road.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Tommy Dorr » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:06 am

I agree that we should slow down and keep our eyes out in areas where wildlife and/or blind turns are present….especially after climbing all day.

That being said, police departments all over the Nation are currently (and have been for some time) engaged in revenue generating efforts just to keep themselves employed. Many sheriff’s departments have been "caught" telling their officers to actually ignore such calls as domestic violence or burglars’ and to focus of traffic violations that generate revenue. Many honorable officers have blown the whistle on such actions.

I got a ticket on the open and empty stretch between Hartsel and Antero Res last year on my way to Monarch. Here is the letter that I wrote to Park County as a result. I hope you find it as amusing as I do:

"I would like to thank the Park County Sheriff’s Department for issuing me a ticket this weekend. I don't always appreciate how amazing and fortunate my life is right now. Especially when compared with what these officers have to do for a living. They must go into this career truly believing that they will be fighting real crime or making some type of actual difference. Then they come to discover that the majority of their career consists of little more than being a toll collector for the much needed revenue required to keep themselves from being laid off. Furthermore these public servants are often found working weekends and holidays while putting in long and lonely hours. It must be a disappointing career to say the least. In comparison, I feel like a king on every level. I really do appreciate the occasional reminder of how fantastic my current situation is. Thank you Park County."
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby pkripper » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:21 am

Many sheriff’s departments have been "caught" telling their officers to actually ignore such calls as domestic violence or burglars’ and to focus of traffic violations

Sorry, I'm calling BS on this.

Postby Tommy Dorr » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:45 am

pkripper wrote:
Many sheriff’s departments have been "caught" telling their officers to actually ignore such calls as domestic violence or burglars’ and to focus of traffic violations

Sorry, I'm calling BS on this.

I figured somebody would. :) Only took 15min, too.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby pkripper » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:19 am

I know that revenue generation is a big deal in this economy,but I do not believe for 1 second officers ignore crimes to generate revenue from traffic citations. Your letter was also insulting to our first responders. I speed on occasion and fully accept my responsibility if stopped.

Postby tenpins » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:37 am

pkripper wrote: Your letter was also insulting to our first responders.

completely. Like they WANT to stop drivers every day who obviously are so self involved that they believe laws dont apply to them, and then have to read drivel like that.

It's like a 3rd grader wrote that letter. Wanna exceed posted speed limits? then dont bitch and moan when you get the fine. Grow up.

PreviousNext