Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:05 am

cheeseburglar wrote:Odd. I think if you want to drive real fast and kill a deer, go for it. Is that Chaffee County? What is their policy on roadkill? In some counties, if you are willing to wait around for the sheriff to show up and issue you a tag, you can keep roadkill. Probably not worth it for most people due to the damage it does to your car.

Get a really burly grill guard

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:32 am

From an experience a couple years ago coming around a curve between Leadville and BV at 4:00 am, there were three deer standing in my lane. I was only going 50 and able to swerve into the outside lane and miss the deer. Thankfully, no one was travelling in the opposite direction.
There is your other good reason for slowing down in a "wildlife area".
I have lost friends over the years who have hit deer with their trucks or motorcycles. Sometimes WE are the roadkill.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby Magnum420 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:52 am

Based on my experience, it seems like it's more about revenue generation than anything else.

Driving 9 between Silverthorne and Kremmling a few times a week, I can tell you that the amount of evening wildlife on the roads increases in the fall. There have been several bad accidents near Green Mt Res in the last few years involving wildlife.

A couple blinking LEDs would have done a better job.

I am pretty sure some of the signs in summit(hwy 9) have flashing lights on them like school zones.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby Rarefied » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:54 am

In addition to the warning about US24 being heavily patrolled, it is truly a very active wildlife corridor (mostly deer but also elk). In particular, be exceptionally alert for the three or so miles immediately north of BV as it is very, very common for deer to be mere feet from the road around dawn & dusk. (That segment is somewhat protected from the elements and, thus, is favored by the animals.) Sadly, judging by the stains I would guess that maybe 10-20 are struck each Fall-to-Spring season along that stretch – maybe more. Unfortunately, my wife went through that unpleasant experience in that area some 10+ years ago and the repair bill still ran several thousand dollars even though it was only a glancing impact.

I, too, have had several close calls there and have witnessed too many others to count. But in truth, the entire corridor is active and I had an experience eerily similar to that of Duffus Kentucky Climber just south of Leadville one pre-dawn morning. In my case it was an elk and only severe braking and the ability to use the shoulder kept it from coming through my windshield.

Of course, the potential exists in many other places throughout the state and I'm sure any number of members here have their own scary stories as well. And as Duffus wisely pointed out, the threats of going off road and/or impacting oncoming traffic are all too real. While I'm sure virtually everyone knows all this, the upthrust of my post is to confirm that particular corridor does, indeed, pose a true risk. All I can add is that non-stop, intense, vigilant scanning of the roadside (have a passenger assist if you have one) can make all the difference. Good luck – unfortunately no Bambi ever receives proper training regarding crossing the street.

R

Postby HarknessHooligans » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I definitely wouldn't have noticed that :-?

Postby England » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:41 pm

Taillon75 wrote:Obey the law! We get this whiney post every year.
It's not brain surgery. You hit a 600 pound Bull Elk at 70mph your toast.
Elk and Deer feed and move at night and it's a major migration route.

=D> Love the avatar. :lol:
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

Postby Carl » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:50 pm

djkest wrote:It doesn't matter that it can be bright and sunny at 5PM... they will still give you a ticket. It's based on time/date and has nothing to do with sunrise/sunset.

Sounds a lot more like an attempt to generate revenue rather than keep folks safe. If it was the latter they could have simply said sunset and not actually ticketed until a half hour later when it's actually dark. Speeding is pretty low on the things that cause car accidents list, but ticketing for it is a great fundraiser.

Postby rijaca » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:31 pm

Actually speeding is the third leading cause of automobile accidents, after distracted driving (e.g. cell phones), and drunken driving.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby nfire » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:33 pm

Carl wrote:
djkest wrote:It doesn't matter that it can be bright and sunny at 5PM... they will still give you a ticket. It's based on time/date and has nothing to do with sunrise/sunset.

Sounds a lot more like an attempt to generate revenue rather than keep folks safe. If it was the latter they could have simply said sunset and not actually ticketed until a half hour later when it's actually dark. Speeding is pretty low on the things that cause car accidents list, but ticketing for it is a great fundraiser.

yep really shady. thanks for the post.

Postby ThuChad » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:59 pm

As I was driving north of Leadville today I saw a road construction sign that said something like "road improvements paid for by our Faster drivers". Does anyone know what it says exactly? It was hard to read driving by at 80. Pretty funny if that's what it really says.

Postby brendanmagee13 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:14 pm

ThuChad wrote:As I was driving north of Leadville today I saw a road construction sign that said something like "road improvements paid for by our Faster drivers". Does anyone know what it says exactly? It was hard to read driving by at 80. Pretty funny if that's what it really says.

I've seen signs similar to that and I can't remember verbatim what it said, but something along the lines of "Road construction paid for faster cars registration fees." Meaning cars like sports cars have higher registration fees compared to your normal Honda Civic registration fees.

Postby Oman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:31 pm

FASTER is a state program that charges drivers an extra $100 if they're late renewing license plates for cars, or if they're living in Colorado but driving on out-of-state license plates for more than 90 days. The extra money pays for road projects around the state. It's one way state government could raise more money for transportation projects without having to go to voters for approval of tax hikes under TABOR.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1243943882310

PreviousNext