Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby ThuChad » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:36 pm

Oh ok. Not as funny as I thought then.

Postby highcountryhiker » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:57 pm

We will be down in the BV area in the next few days. Thanks for the reminder that the "night" speed limit restrictions start on Saturday.

Postby Dex » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:13 pm

djkest wrote:Based on my experience, it seems like it's more about revenue generation than anything else. However if it were pitch black and in the late fall, it's probably going to make your drive a lot safer.

There are times in the the year when deer come down from the mountains to eat the grass along the side of the road. They are difficult to see and collisions with them kill can cause tragic accidents.

I think part of the reason for the decrease in speed is to protect drivers.

A park ranger told me that if you can not avoid hitting them, it is best to hit them in the hind end with the front corner of your car.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby GeezerClimber » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:22 pm

I live in BV and wildlife is very, very plentiful here and car/animal collisions are all too common. During the fall especially, we are very careful around dusk which we have dubbed "bambi hour". I have not heard if the lower speed limits have actually reduced car/animal collisions or not. I hope they have. That said, the two tickets I have received on this stretch were both mid day. As I said before, it is heavily patrolled.

Dave

Postby Rarefied » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:37 pm

It's just as Dex describes. Harsh weather drives them down from higher terrain. And it doesn't have to be full snow cover either. Rain, high winds and the like will also do it.

Over the years officials have tried other approaches to alert drivers on that stretch such as attaching red cloth flags to existing “Deer Xing” signs. (They probably didn't get much for that effort.) There was even brief talk of installing the same kind of automated detection/warning system that you see along US160 east of Durango. It senses wildlife near the road and then turns on bright yellow lights on a warning sign. But the high costs for the sensing system, power, etc. made it a easy target for a veto.

Given the history of the BV-Leadville segment, I do think safety was the main motivation for implementing the seasonal reduction in nighttime speeds. (A quick check with one on-line calculator shows a 57' braking advantage at 55MPH vs. 65MPH.) But I also don't doubt for an instant that the increased revenue stream from violations doesn't particularly bother anyone at the government level either. :twisted:

By the way, I do agree that all the information on those signs can be hard to “digest” at speed if one isn't expecting the unusual nature of them. And don't get me wrong, djkest: Long ago roadside discussions about speedometers rings a faint bell somewhere. :-" If it's any consolation, if I had been the officer you would have been let off with a warning that early in the season. :wink:

R
Last edited by Rarefied on Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby edhaman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:08 pm

So it seems that the prudent thing to do is watch your speed everywhere. Is it really worth the extra cost of fines and added insurance rates to get there a few minutes earlier? Not to mention the potential damage to your vehicle and even death.

Postby edhaman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:08 pm

So it seems that the prudent thing to do is watch your speed everywhere. Is it really worth the extra cost of fines and added insurance rates to get there a few minutes earlier? Not to mention the potential damage to your vehicle and even death.

Postby Roald » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:12 am

edhaman wrote:Is it really worth the extra cost of fines and added insurance rates to get there a few minutes earlier?

Yes, it is to me. A decent detector and laser jamming equipment installed on my vehicle helps avoid fines, and I'll take my chances with Bambi. Heads up like the original post helps too, thanks.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Postby ctlee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:28 am

Roald wrote:
edhaman wrote:Is it really worth the extra cost of fines and added insurance rates to get there a few minutes earlier?

Yes, it is to me. A decent detector and laser jamming equipment installed on my vehicle helps avoid fines, and I'll take my chances with Bambi. Heads up like the original post helps too, thanks.

Ummmm....you left out the part of his statement about risking death....I've seen dead human bodies in cars mangled with dead deer bodies that came through the windshields (former paramedic). Yeah, that's worth risking to get to the trailhead an extra 15 minutes early. Leave home earlier. Simple. And smart. Or don't. It's a free country.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow-learn as if you were to live forever-----Mahatma Gandhi

Postby Roald » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:43 am

ctlee wrote:
Roald wrote:

Ummmm....you left out the part of his statement about risking death....I've seen dead human bodies in cars mangled with dead deer bodies that came through the windshields (former paramedic). Yeah, that's worth risking to get to the trailhead an extra 15 minutes early. Leave home earlier. Simple. And smart. Or don't. It's a free country.

Oh yeah, I did forget about that death thing. Probably not good to risk death while driving to a mountain to risk death again. Seriously though, I think its just the whole police thing that bugs me. 8-[
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Postby ctlee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:50 am

Oh yeah, I did forget about that death thing. Probably not good to risk death while driving to a mountain to risk death again.

Somehow, I saw that coming! #-o :lol:
Live as if you were to die tomorrow-learn as if you were to live forever-----Mahatma Gandhi

Postby iheshvail » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:04 pm

yeah this area was already a speed trap. A CSP trooper pulled me over for going 5 over. yes 5 over. he gave me a warning but it was a 15 min delay to the denny creek th.
if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

PreviousNext