Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where to stay in Durango before the train ride

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Where to stay in Durango before the train ride

Postby DurangoJenn » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:24 pm

Johnson wrote:DurangoJenn or whoever!!!

Is there a place near the train that we can get a 6 of Modus Hoperandi or other canned beverage to bring to Chi Basin? Or do we need to transport it from home?

There is a liquor store on College Drive a couple of blocks from the train station, but it's a small store so not sure if they carry Modus or not. I've actually never been in that store in the 18 years I've lived here. Otherwise, there's a much larger liquor store next to Albertsons (which is pretty close to the train station, too, just the other side of Camino del Rio across from the Doubletree) that I'm sure would have Modus.

Postby DurangoJenn » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:32 pm

unclegar wrote:
DurangoJenn wrote:The Durango Lodge is definitely closest to the train station, half a block away...If you have any other questions, I'm happy to help.

Thanks! Sounds like the Durango Lodge it is. Any suggestions for dinner on the day we arrive and the day we return. Nice to get a local micro on tap but not imperative.

edit: Ha! Just saw the Johnson post above after I posted. Looks like we are both thirsty tonight. :-D :iluvbeer:

What kind of food do you like? Just about every restaurant in town has a local micro on tap being as we've got four microbreweries. :iluvbeer:

Steamworks is not far from the Durango Lodge/train station, at East Second Avenue and 8th St. (about 3 blocks from the lodge):

http://steamworksbrewing.com/whats-on-tap/
http://steamworksbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Revamped-11x17-Menu-5-2012.pdf

Ken and Sue's is my favorite restaurant. A little more upscale, but still casual. Everything's Durango casual. It's just over a block from the train station, on Main Avenue between College Drive and 7th St.

http://kenandsues.com/

Postby Johnson » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:44 pm

DurangoJenn wrote:
Johnson wrote:DurangoJenn or whoever!!!

Is there a place near the train that we can get a 6 of Modus Hoperandi or other canned beverage to bring to Chi Basin? Or do we need to transport it from home?

There is a liquor store on College Drive a couple of blocks from the train station, but it's a small store so not sure if they carry Modus or not. I've actually never been in that store in the 18 years I've lived here. Otherwise, there's a much larger liquor store next to Albertsons (which is pretty close to the train station, too, just the other side of Camino del Rio across from the Doubletree) that I'm sure would have Modus.

Thanks! Getting pumped for the trip. Been wanting this for 2 years!
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby unclegar » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:24 pm

DurangoJenn wrote:What kind of food do you like? Just about every restaurant in town has a local micro on tap being as we've got four microbreweries. :iluvbeer:

Thanks for all your help! I'll check these out to see what they serve when I get a chance. I like pizza (and I think Johnson would concur) :-D
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:18 am

If you really want good modus, go to SKA brewery and get a pint and then grab a sixer, it's an easy bike ride from the train station 2 miles or so along the animas river bike trail. But if not every liquor store in town carries modus, because it's amazing. Pizza - homeslice on college (also has good local brews) great patio, also near train station. Good food and more beer, Carvers (much easier on the stomach than steamworks, alot of locals call it S*itworks or steamsquirts if you get my drift... carvers is more chill too), sit on the patio. Free Camp up in la plata canyon, 15 minute drive and fanatastic camping and a river runs through it, no need for 4wd for the easiest (but still awesome camping). Train, sit on the east side (gorge side) and get an open car. have fun in our town!

Postby Johnson » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:17 am

GeorgiaTyler wrote:If you really want good modus, go to SKA brewery and get a pint and then grab a sixer, it's an easy bike ride from the train station 2 miles or so along the animas river bike trail. But if not every liquor store in town carries modus, because it's amazing. Pizza - homeslice on college (also has good local brews) great patio, also near train station. Good food and more beer, Carvers (much easier on the stomach than steamworks, alot of locals call it S*itworks or steamsquirts if you get my drift... carvers is more chill too), sit on the patio. Free Camp up in la plata canyon, 15 minute drive and fanatastic camping and a river runs through it, no need for 4wd for the easiest (but still awesome camping). Train, sit on the east side (gorge side) and get an open car. have fun in our town!

Thanks for the heads-up. We're scheduled to fly in at 4:15 and won't have a car so wheels are lacking for some of you options. I really wanted to go to SKA but alas!
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:46 am

Take the trolley or the T, awesome transit service in DGO. pay 1 dollar to get to SKA on the T, everything is within 5 minutes of the choo choo. camping not so much, but let me put on my thinkin cap...

Postby DurangoJenn » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:47 am

Johnson wrote:
GeorgiaTyler wrote:If you really want good modus, go to SKA brewery and get a pint and then grab a sixer, it's an easy bike ride from the train station 2 miles or so along the animas river bike trail. But if not every liquor store in town carries modus, because it's amazing. Pizza - homeslice on college (also has good local brews) great patio, also near train station. Good food and more beer, Carvers (much easier on the stomach than steamworks, alot of locals call it S*itworks or steamsquirts if you get my drift... carvers is more chill too), sit on the patio. Free Camp up in la plata canyon, 15 minute drive and fanatastic camping and a river runs through it, no need for 4wd for the easiest (but still awesome camping). Train, sit on the east side (gorge side) and get an open car. have fun in our town!

Thanks for the heads-up. We're scheduled to fly in at 4:15 and won't have a car so wheels are lacking for some of you options. I really wanted to go to SKA but alas!

What day do you get in?

I was coming on here to mention Carvers, but see GT beat me to it. It's not far from the train station either, about 5 blocks on Main between 11th and 12th streets.

http://carverbrewing.com/brewery.html
http://carverbrewing.com/restaurant.html

I've never heard that about Steamworks before. I have a sensitive stomach and have never had problems with their food. <shrug> I wouldn't want to chance it before a trip to the Basin though. If you happen to be here on a Thursday, it's pint night there with $2 pints all day. If you're an IPA fan, this Thursday is the release day for Hoperation Ivy (Colorado fresh hop IPA).

It's cool to go to Ska, but one of my pet peeves about it is that pints there are more expensive than most places downtown and buying their beer there isn't any cheaper than in town. Although Thursdays they have Ska-B-Q with $3 pints and $2 tacos from Zia Taqueria (along with other food offerings) and live music. It's fun to hang out on the patio in the sun.

Lady Falconburgh's has $2 pints on Mondays and Thursdays. It's on Main between College and 7th street.

http://www.ladyfalconburgh.biz/

Can you tell Thursdays is the day to get a good deal on pints in Durango?

Postby Johnson » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:23 am

DurangoJenn wrote:What day do you get in?

Tomorrow (Tuesday) around 16:30. Flying in on Frontier...at least that's the plan.

Postby Flyby201 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:29 am

I will also be coming up 9/3. Johnson, see you on the train. My question is, is there transit system or other ground transportation from Junction Creek campground to train station? How far is it if we had to walk?

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:44 pm

The food at steamworks is delish, the beers are what puts a hurting on the pipes, for some crazy reason. The transit system doesn't go up junction creek, a taxi would prob. be pretty cheap to get up there. Once up there, somebody would give you a ride back to main, for sure. I live across from 'the beach' on the animas and sometimes I camp under the stars, if y'all wanted I could show you the ropes and it is pretty amazing, watching the sunset off the river and sunrise over missionary ridge, for free. Also, I have a trolley stop right in front of my place.

Postby dpage » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:54 pm

[quote="GeorgiaTyler"]The food at steamworks is delish, the beers are what puts a hurting on the pipes, for some crazy reason.

I wish I had a better experience at Steamworks. After camping in Chicago Basin my wife was craving nachos which she ordered at Steamworks and left without touching them. She wasn't thrilled. The nachos were cold, the other toppings just were (i.e. seemed like canned black beans, stale nachos, jar salsa, jar nacho cheese) overall nothing exciting...maybe it was just the nachos and their other food is better? The quinoa burger was ok but not the best veggie burger around. I ordered some beer and thought it was ok but nothing to get excited about. We went to Carver's before packing in and found the food to be better. Next time I need to check out Ska.

PreviousNext