Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where to stay in Durango before the train ride

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status
User avatar
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:37 pm
Location: Durango, CO

Re: Where to stay in Durango before the train ride

Postby DurangoJenn » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:38 pm

smrcka wrote:Junction Creek campground. Unfortunately, the free dispersed camping above the fee camping area is no longer allowed so you'd have to pay to camp, but it's still cheaper than a motel. It's at the end of the Junction Creek Road, just past the start of the Colorado Trail. To find Junction Creek Road, just drive north on Main Street until you find Junction Creek Liquors! :-"


Junction Creek Liquors is long gone, closed and torn down.

User avatar
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:41 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN and Palisade, CO

Re: Where to stay in Durango before the train ride

Postby Roald » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:46 pm

Headwall5 wrote:The Walmart parking lots a great place!



www.peopleofwalmart.com
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

User avatar
Posts: 1011
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:58 pm
Location: Estes Park < > < > Fort Collins

Re: Where to stay in Durango before the train ride

Postby unclegar » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:06 pm

The OP was asking about camping but...

DurangoJenn wrote:Junction Creek Liquors is long gone, closed and torn down.


DurangoJenn, since you are familiar with the town, do you have any more recent thoughts on hotels that are close enough to walk to the train station? I have already read some of the older threads on hotels in Durango. We are flying in and will not have a car. Also, do you know if the train station has lockers for a suitcase? Any thoughts on the Durango Lodge? I think that is what we are currently looking at doing.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:44 am

Re: Where to stay in Durango before the train ride

Postby bob863 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:24 pm

Why not start in Silverton? The parking is free....granted, you don't get into Needleton until 4-4:30 PM, but with enough daylight and strong hiking you can grab a good campsite by nightfall...

User avatar
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:44 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: Where to stay in Durango before the train ride

Postby semitrueskerm » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:13 am

the caboose!! 39.95

User avatar
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:37 pm
Location: Durango, CO

Re: Where to stay in Durango before the train ride

Postby DurangoJenn » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:17 am

unclegar wrote:The OP was asking about camping but...

DurangoJenn wrote:Junction Creek Liquors is long gone, closed and torn down.


DurangoJenn, since you are familiar with the town, do you have any more recent thoughts on hotels that are close enough to walk to the train station? I have already read some of the older threads on hotels in Durango. We are flying in and will not have a car. Also, do you know if the train station has lockers for a suitcase? Any thoughts on the Durango Lodge? I think that is what we are currently looking at doing.


The Durango Lodge is definitely closest to the train station, half a block away. I know there are no lockers at the train station in the lobby. I don't know if they have any suitcase storing service, though, like in their office somewhere. Probably not a common request.

Other nearby hotels are the General Palmer (same block of Main Ave as train station but definitely not cheap), the Strater Hotel (two blocks away, on Main Ave as well, also not cheap), and the Durango Wyndham (two blocks, off the beaten path, used to be a Best Western).

If you have any other questions, I'm happy to help.

User avatar
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:37 pm
Location: Durango, CO

Re: Where to stay in Durango before the train ride

Postby DurangoJenn » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:19 am

bob863 wrote:Why not start in Silverton? The parking is free....granted, you don't get into Needleton until 4-4:30 PM, but with enough daylight and strong hiking you can grab a good campsite by nightfall...


Not to mention, the train ride is much more scenic from Silverton. The first hour and a half from Durango is just traveling through town and the Animas Valley up toward Needleton, nice enough but nothing breathtaking.

User avatar
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:30 am
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Where to stay in Durango before the train ride

Postby Johnson » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:26 pm

DurangoJenn or whoever!!!

Is there a place near the train that we can get a 6 of Modus Hoperandi or other canned beverage to bring to Chi Basin? Or do we need to transport it from home?
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

User avatar
Posts: 1011
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:58 pm
Location: Estes Park < > < > Fort Collins

Re: Where to stay in Durango before the train ride

Postby unclegar » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:26 pm

DurangoJenn wrote:The Durango Lodge is definitely closest to the train station, half a block away...If you have any other questions, I'm happy to help.


Thanks! Sounds like the Durango Lodge it is. Any suggestions for dinner on the day we arrive and the day we return. Nice to get a local micro on tap but not imperative.

edit: Ha! Just saw the Johnson post above after I posted. Looks like we are both thirsty tonight. :-D :iluvbeer:
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

User avatar
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:30 am
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Where to stay in Durango before the train ride

Postby Johnson » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:47 pm

unclegar wrote:
DurangoJenn wrote:The Durango Lodge is definitely closest to the train station, half a block away...If you have any other questions, I'm happy to help.


Thanks! Sounds like the Durango Lodge it is. Any suggestions for dinner on the day we arrive and the day we return. Nice to get a local micro on tap but not imperative.

edit: Ha! Just saw the Johnson post above after I posted. Looks like we are both thirsty tonight. :-D :iluvbeer:


I hear that Steamworks is close by.... but not sure.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Online
User avatar
Posts: 1698
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Canon City, Colorado

Re: Where to stay in Durango before the train ride

Postby mtgirl » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:53 pm

Steamworks is a great place to go - the beers are especially tasty after spending a few days in the backcountry !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Where to stay in Durango before the train ride

Postby funkymonkey1111 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:03 am

The General Palmer is the closest hotel to the train--walk out and directly onto the train. Literally several feet

For dinner, Ken and Sue's is great, as is the Cosmopolitan. There are two exceptional sushi restaurants there.

Most great restaurants are within walking distance of the train--3 or 4 blocks up from the General Palmer

You also can't go wrong staying at the Strater Hotel, either

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DeTour, jeffs, jibler, jrock, KentonB, mkrier, Rainechaser, sllygrl, thebugguy, tjmartn1, Tony1, Tortoise1 and 27 guests