Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

When does Mt Evans rd close at summit lake?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

When does Mt Evans rd close at summit lake?

Postby joshbrink » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:40 pm

I have been researching Mt Evans rd to find out when it closes at summit lake for the winter. Some post i saw say it closes on labor day. Is this true? If so does anyone have any suggestions for the tour de abyss route on Septmber 9th?
Thank you,
josh
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
― John Muir

Re: When does Mt Evans rd close at summit lake?

Postby ThuChad » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:49 pm

joshbrink wrote:I have been researching Mt Evans rd to find out when it closes at summit lake for the winter. Some post i saw say it closes on labor day. Is this true? If so does anyone have any suggestions for the tour de abyss route on Septmber 9th?
Thank you,
josh

http://www.mountevans.com/MountEvansCom/Mount-Evans-PlanningRoadOpenClosing.HTML

"CDOT has returned to closing the top five miles the day after Labor Day. CDOT says that the first 10 miles (of 15 to the summit) will be open until the "first significant snowfall" or the first weekend in October, which ever is first. Exactly, what is a "significant snowfall" is not defined."

That would be a pretty long hike just to start at the gully off the Evans Rd. Might be best to wait until the road reopens.

Edit: Summit Lake is 5 miles down the road from the summit of Evans. It would add an additional 2.2 miles one way if you park at Summit Lake and walk to the Gully and down into the Abyss valley. You wouldn't have to go the same way on the return trip. You could summit Evans then go East/North East back to the road which wouldn't add that much on to the tail end.
Last edited by ThuChad on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

Postby joshbrink » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Thanks, I live in Michigan and only get to come to CO once or twice a year so it sounds like it may be next year. I was looking to get in some class 3 on the east ridge and the sawtooth. Any suggestions for a differnt climb? I am planning to do Kelso allready.
Thanks

Postby ThuChad » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:00 pm

joshbrink wrote:Thanks, I live in Michigan and only get to come to CO once or twice a year so it sounds like it may be next year. I was looking to get in some class 3 on the east ridge and the sawtooth. Any suggestions for a differnt climb? I am planning to do Kelso allready.
Thanks

Read edit above.

You could always do the traditional Bierstadt>Sawtooth>Evans from Guanella Pass.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

Postby joshbrink » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks, I'm glad I researched it before I got there! I may do the traditional rt, or look for something else.
Thanks

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:17 pm

Check out the "13er scrambles" thread. Lots of gold in there.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37242
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby joshbrink » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Thanks! I will take a look

Postby Mark A Steiner » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm looking at Gray Wolf from Summit Lake Labor Day if all goes well down here in the lowlands Sat/Sun.

CDOT will close the road above Summit Lake the next day - which is traditional even if the road is bone-dry.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby coloradokevin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:16 am

joshbrink wrote:Thanks, I live in Michigan and only get to come to CO once or twice a year so it sounds like it may be next year. I was looking to get in some class 3 on the east ridge and the sawtooth. Any suggestions for a differnt climb? I am planning to do Kelso allready.
Thanks

Mid-September is my favorite time to climb in the Evans area (generally nice weather, no summit road crowds). If you were looking to set up a shuttle for the ride down from Evans you could always climb Bierstadt, take the Sawtooth route to Evans, climb down Evans via Spaulding, and pick up your ride at Summit Lake. It is very unlikely that the road will be closed below Summit Lake by Sept 9th.

Alternatively, for a short and sweet climb of Evans alone, park at Summit Lake and climb via Spaulding. Descend via the road if you want variety in the route.

Postby edhaman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:50 am

From the end of the summit parking lot on Evans, between the summit and the Summit House ruins, there is a trail that cuts down to the road a little uphill from Summit Lake. It's a little steep and loose, but a lot faster and shorter than following the road down. As for the Tour d'Abyss, going down on this trail would offset at least some, it not all, of the distance at the start from Summit Lake to the gully.

Postby joshbrink » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:52 pm

Thank you for all of the great advice.
Josh
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
― John Muir