Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Just a friendly reminder

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Just a friendly reminder

Postby bking14ers » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:50 am

Let's keep those Trail Head status's updated. I just got back from a week of great climbing. If you like cold rain, snow, sleet, hail, and slippery wet rock. Oh well... It only adds to my developing skills. I just posted updates for all the TH's that I used. We had to bail-out on Capital due to the weather. So some friends hooked me up with lots of other options. This is why up-dated reports are so helpful. On a sad note... While I was there I heard about the climber who was killed on Saturday. I am very sorry to hear that. I hope all that was with him, or knew him can somehow get through this terrible tragedy. It was a beautiful day for climbing in the mountains. Be careful everyone...

Re: Just a friendly reminder

Postby metalmountain » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:06 am

bking14ers wrote:Let's keep those Trail Head status's updated. I just got back from a week of great climbing. If you like cold rain, snow, sleet, hail, and slippery wet rock. Oh well... It only adds to my developing skills. I just posted updates for all the TH's that I used. We had to bail-out on Capital due to the weather. So some friends hooked me up with lots of other options. This is why up-dated reports are so helpful. On a sad note... While I was there I heard about the climber who was killed on Saturday. I am very sorry to hear that. I hope all that was with him, or knew him can somehow get through this terrible tragedy. It was a beautiful day for climbing in the mountains. Be careful everyone...

Some pretty big rain storms moved through last week, not sure a TH update would have told you that. Checking the weather forecast would have though.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby bking14ers » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:42 am

Yep, I understand that. We did a lot of weather watching. Up-dated trail head reports are especially important for people like me (out of staters) that would have limited access to a computer, or knowledge of the surrounding area. I had to bail on a peak and scrambled to find something last minute that I could get a "rent-a-mountain goat" car up. I did have some bail-out places in mind in case something like that did happen. But, they were very far away from when I needed them.

Postby djkest » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:44 am

I think the trailhead status is usually updated until it reaches summer conditions and is open, and then isn't further updated until it snows because it isn't necessary. I'm not 100% sure what you are requesting here, exactly.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby JROSKA » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:06 pm

I think that Trailhead, Conditions, and Trip Reports are a nice courtesy, but not something that anyone should expect. It's your responsibility to research the trailhead. When I'm doing that, if I can't find anything recent, I look back to prior years. For instance, if I see that someone wrote "My Toyota Camry got to the TH, no problem" in August of 2009, I will assume that applies in August 2012. If there is something like a boulder, or a tree, blocking the road, it's nice when people call that to attention, but I don't expect it. If I encountered something odd like that, and I couldn't get to the TH, it's no big deal. It's nobody's fault - just the way it goes. I'd either hike extra or just turn around and find something else to do.

Postby JDip » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:07 pm

I agree with JROSKA, you can't just go off of a trip report or a trailhead status update or whatever. There are different sources to get information from - especially weather. That information isn't always correct either. This site is great for what it provides, but shouldn't be expected to always be right.
I want to know the thoughts of God. All the rest are details. -Albert Einstein

It's not the height of the mountain that makes it great, it is the mountain itself. -J.D.

Postby blazebo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:11 pm

JDip wrote:I agree with JROSKA, you can't just go off of a trip report or a trailhead status update or whatever. There are different sources to get information from - especially weather. That information isn't always correct either. This site is great for what it provides, but shouldn't be expected to always be right.

maybe we should have a hand holding class at the next happy hour. no offense, but if you cant do due diligence on weather, conditions, and traffic, you have no business climbing anything more than a bunk bed. ](*,)
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.

Postby bking14ers » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:03 pm

People. It was "just a friendly reminder"... I think we all missed the point of this little exercise. What is the point of the trail head link on this web site in the first place? Maybe it should be removed, because I seem to be the only one who uses it. I do my homework quit well at home on the peaks I'm planning on climbing, but not for everyone in CO. If I get rained off a peak while I'm 1,400 miles from home (like last week) it would be nice to have recent TH updates so I don't spend a whole day trying to find a TH that a rent-a-car can go up. Some updates are very old. It only takes one big gully washer to change a TH. Are we clear now?

Postby metalmountain » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:08 pm

bking14ers wrote:People. It was "just a friendly reminder"... I think we all missed the point of this little exercise. What is the point of the trail head link on this web site in the first place? Maybe it should be removed, because I seem to be the only one who uses it. I do my homework quit well at home on the peaks I'm planning on climbing, but not for everyone in CO. If I get rained off a peak while I'm 1,400 miles from home (like last week) it would be nice to have recent TH updates so I don't spend a whole day trying to find a TH that a rent-a-car can go up. Some updates are very old. It only takes one big gully washer to change a TH. Are we clear now?

That makes more sense. I think we all read your initial post as saying that since the TH condition wasn't updated you were not able to successfully complete your climb. My assumption would be that if there are no updates, then there is nothing noteworthy that has happened since the last update for that particular TH. I think most of us wouldn't bother with an update that just says "same as last week". I have seen updates in the past when a road washes out, trees block the road, elks are mating in the parking lot or something else out of the norm happens though.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby JROSKA » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:53 pm

bking14ers wrote:It only takes one big gully washer to change a TH. Are we clear now?

I've only been doing 14ers for 3 years now, but I have gotten to 13 summits, with 6 aborted missions, so that's a decent number of trailheads. In all honesty, I've never observed a trailhead whose characteristics would change drastically from a rainstorm (at least, not enough to warrant recommending people change their plans). I've been up some rough TH roads too, including South Winfield, Upper Huerfano, Kite Lake, and Grizzly Gulch (for Grays Torreys). If you're referring to rain washing rocks into the road, or lightning or wind knocking a tree onto it, I generally think that people are very good about reporting things like that. But, again, you seem to be placing an expectation on people to provide information - some do, some don't. Not a big deal.

I think you need to have a more "live and let live" attitude when things go awry in the mountains. It's nobody's fault - not yours, not someone else's. Things just happen sometimes. I faced your exact situation once. I had to park 2.5 miles short of the Upper Huerfano TH, due to a gigantic snow drift that someone referred to as "no big deal" in the most recent TH update. But I just couldn't get around it. It was already 9:30, so I knew that I wouldn't make the summit with all of that extra hiking, but I went as far as I could since I had driven all the way down there. I only got a mile past the real TH, but gained 2500 feet, nice early season hike, got some great pictures, and gained some familiarity with the TH road, and the mountain. Make the best of things. I realize that's easier said than done, and in your case, being from out of state, you probably had a set plan in very limited time, and maybe can't come back until next year. But you've got to resist the temptation to get angry at other people, or yourself, when things don't go as planned in the mountains - because that is a very frequent occurrence in Colorado.

Postby bking14ers » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:19 pm

I only got a little touchy because I thought I made myself clear on what I was requesting. Then I took those responses as poor planning on my part. (Not at all the case). s**t does happen I understand that. I was able to change my plans and get two other summits because I was shut out of two others. Most out of staters rent the cheapest set of wheels they can find. A jeep would have cost me a grand for the week. When I update a trail head report I tell what kind of car I took up it because I know someone else is in the same boat as me. All is clear now.

Postby Navigaiter » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:24 pm

bking14ers wrote:What is the point of the trail head link on this web site in the first place? Maybe it should be removed, because I seem to be the only one who uses it.

I think people count on TRs and TH updates a bit too much. There was a time when all I had was Roach's book and a 4WD and no indication of what I was getting into whatsoever. The climbs I experienced during those years were wild and spectacular.

With all due respect, while I understand your desire to be prepared, half the adventure is figuring out what to do when conditions, including road conditions, don't go your way. I'd say you should just look at the TH updates as nice when they're there, but realize that they're a luxury and not a requirement or anyone's responsibility.

Next