Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping near Steamboat Springs

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camping near Steamboat Springs

Postby SummitKathy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi! I'm headed to Steamboat for Labour day weekend and am wondering if anyone knows of any good non-designated camping areas? I'm figuring most of the campgrounds in the area will be busy on labour day weekend, so am thinking of trying to avoid them. Thanks!
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir

Re: Camping near Steamboat Springs

Postby djkest » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:44 pm

Are you planning on hiking / climbing while you are there? Routt County Highpoint Mt. Zirkel is somewhat nearby and I hear the area isn't the most popular place, so that might be one place you could look.

Mt. Zirkel on Summitpost

Here's a map:
http://goo.gl/maps/Q6gio

It's in Routte National Forest, so you should be good to camp in this area. Hopefully someone will come by with better info, but at least this is a bump.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Re: Camping near Steamboat Springs

Postby NYRyan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:24 pm

Rabbit Ears Pass and Buffalo Pass areas both offer dispersed camping opportunities close to Steamboat. Buff pass is really close to town and will most likely be pretty busy that weekend. If you really wanted to get away from the crowds, I would suggest heading up to into North Routt.

The Zirkel Wilderness is a really nice area. Mount Zirkel is a bit of a slog from the trailhead (slavonia), but can be done in a day with an early start and quick pace. That area has some really good hiking/climbing and its uncrowded by Front Range standards (but one of the more popular hiking areas in Routt county). The road to the slavonia trailhead has a dispersed camping area, but it will probably be pretty busy that weekend.
Thank you Bill M for this great site.