Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt Elbert Camping?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Mt Elbert Camping?

Postby imtheguy247 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:37 am

Me and a few buddys are going to hike Mt. Elbert on the 23rd, and plan on camping the 22nd. First off can you camp anywhere or do you need to have a campground? I have read that there is Elbert Campground but also hear that it is always very packed. would i be able to hike into some wooded area and make my own site or do i need a campground? Sorry im not very well informed about campgrounds and what not.

Re: Mt Elbert Camping?

Postby screeman57 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:47 am

There is plenty of good free camping on virtually the entire length of Halfmoon road.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby jsdratm » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:48 am

I believe you can set up a tent anywhere that is in national forest as long as it is x number of feet from water. When I did Elbert early last year I camped at the official site and it was not very busy, but then again it was late May. Usually I just sleep in my car, but that may not be an option for you if you have multiple people.

Postby imtheguy247 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:58 pm

Alrighty cool. Do you happen to know how much I need to pay? Is there a host there? Or hows that work. Im sure theres some charge.

Postby jsdratm » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:04 pm

It is self-pay, but there is some guy who will come around at 9 pm or so and collect if you don't pay. I think it was $10 or something like that. I didn't have change and didn't pay, so he came up to my tent and then I was able to pay him directly and get change.