Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Saw a mountain lion above Pine Creek

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Saw a mountain lion above Pine Creek

Postby chrismjx » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:10 pm

I hiked up the South Pine Creek Trail to Mt. Harvard the other day, and on the way up I noticed what looked like very fresh mountain lion tracks in the soil. On the way down, I sat down to catch my breath for a second, looked up, and about 300ft above me on a cliff was a mountain lion! I saw its tail first, then followed that up to the rest of the animal, who was staring right back at me. He was only there for a few seconds, and then disappeared.

That was my first mountain lion sighting in the wild! Now if I could just come across a bear... \:D/

Re: Saw a mountain lion above Pine Creek

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:18 pm

get any pictures? i'd love to see a mountain lion on the trail

Postby chrismjx » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:22 pm

No, I failed miserably. It was gone before I could get my camera, it was so quick. I think I literally said "No way..." out loud when I saw it, it caught me completely by surprise, and like I said, it was gone after a couple of seconds. I'm not even really sure where it went; it just vanished!

Postby PaliKona » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:30 pm

wow, your heart must have been racing! Nice sighting!!

Postby JenGa » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Aww - you are SO lucky!!! I have lived in CO my whole life (well, until I moved away but I visit and hike every single summer) and have never seen one. They are so elusive. Did you report it to DOW? They might be interested in the location.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:52 pm

Special! We see bears all the time (2 weeks ago in the garage) and I grew up with them trying to break into my childhood house in appalachia, but a mountain lion is a rarity. I have met many lifelong CO folk that haven't ever had an encounter. I've seen one on US285 at 5am, a female pulling a deer off of our road one night, and then the same lady trying to break into my truck in the driveway to access the garbage I left in there (stupid). Oh, and also one in the Sierras many years ago while backpacking. They are so elusive. Probably one of the hardest wildlife photos to capture in the U.S. (I keep trying). Also the one predator that makes me nervous in CO.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby WheelerDealer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:33 am

I'm agreed that it's really incredible that you haven't seen a bear but got a peek at a Lion. Definitely an uncommon progression. I remember an early morning backpack in Bandelier where we were following kitty prints all the way up the trail. Certianly the lowest on the food chain that i've been.

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:46 am

Now if I could just come across a bear...

Go to the Blue Lakes TH on the north side of Sneffels on the outskirts of the Ralph Lauren Ranch (Dallas Creek Rd). My buddy and I saw 3 of them crossing the road on the way in and out last Saturday! There were TONS of bear around there. All instances happened so fast, we literally didn't have time to process it, but they were there. Not sure if they are still there, but it was pretty hilarious and cool at the same time.

Thats very cool both that you saw that cat and more importantly, that it didn't make a meal out of you. Good for you on the sighting.

Postby Magnum420 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:59 pm

I've seen the bear, not the lion. I'd love to see a lion, but from a distance.

There have been several sightings of Mt. Lions in Silverthorne, specifically near the top of Wildernest. A friend of mine saw a baby in a tree near Lily Pad Lakes and I've received a couple warnings from my condo HOA that Mt. Lions have been seen on the property(see below). This is a bit unnerving knowing how much solo hiking I do above Wildernest, also unnerving that the Mt. lions are being seen in the middle of a populated area. But either way, thats why I live in the mountains! Keeps you on your toes.

"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby sue personett » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:45 pm

I had a mountain lion in my front yard last October.
Namaste
Sue

Postby sue personett » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:48 pm

I also see a black bear every now and then. Three evenings ago when I walked my dogs after supper we were 40 feet from a black bear. He or she decided not to stick around and deal with 2 dogs. he or she ran off into the scrub oak.
Namaste
Sue

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:54 pm

i encountered a few squirrels this morning in Cherry Creek State Park. do i get any cool points for that?

Next