Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Video of TH roads?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Video of TH roads?

Postby ThuChad » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:56 pm

I was just watching a video on RMNP's facebook page it it gave me an idea. Has anyone ever thought about videoing TH roads from a dashcam or some other vehicle mounted cam? This way when someone asks can my XYZ car make it up to ABC TH they can just look at the video and decide for themselves. I know road conditions can change and the season plays a big part also but it could be another useful tool on the site. Thoughts?

Here's the video I'm referring to. The lighting isn't the best but you can see what I'm talking about.
http://www.facebook.com/v/471689909516955
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

“I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest. I wished to know the meaning of all things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.” |Ayn Rand - Anthem

Re: Video of TH roads?

Postby MonGoose » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:10 pm

Often times it's hard to tell how rough the road is from the dashboard. It's usually better to have someone get out and record a video of the vehicle driving through the stream crossing or rocky section. It's also difficult to gauge because many of the stream crossings are high in the Spring and early Summer, but are of little concern in the Fall. At popular trailheads, the roads may be improved at some point during the season but after the stormy season, the road may washout or become rutted. Road conditions are constantly changing. Also, an experienced driver might drive over a rocky section very smoothly while an inexperienced driver might bust a hole in their oil pan on the same section. That's what makes it so hard to distinguish between one driver / vehicle compared to the next.

Re: Video of TH roads?

Postby Iguru » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:29 pm

If you go to youtube, you can likely find a video of 4wd 14er trailhead roads. Here is one for Blanca.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjjssLnM5Po
I gotta get me an Avatar.