Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How rough is Cinnamon Pass??

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

How rough is Cinnamon Pass??

Postby herdbull » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm looking at trying to get from either Handies/Redcloud area or Wetterhorn/Uncompahgre area to Mt. Sneffels. I'm guessing I can go around the long way which is probably 3 hours? Or take Cinnamon Pass?

I've got 1 day to fill on my upcoming trip and I'd rather do Sneffels than Pikes. I'm driving a 2011 half ton 4x4 pickup. No lift, stock tires and too new for some "character" to be added via a bad mtn trail :)

Re: How rough is Cinnamon Pass??

Postby kiliclimber7_17_02 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:52 pm

Cinnamon Pass is not too difficult in my opinion. Its been several years since I went over it but I did it in a full size Bronco and again in an Explorer. You might have to back up to get around a few curves in a full size truck and you have to be thinking about where to pass another vehicle. I think its a bit harder than Engineer Pass. I don't recall any big steps or other really tough areas. Its slow so you are not going to make over a few miles per hour. Also if you encounter another vehicle its tough to find spots to pass.

Postby RickSelah » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:59 pm

It's very rough, but it's all about clearance and your truck should have it. You definitely need HT tires or better...I drove my 2x2 silverado with regular lite truck tires over the pass in June n got 3 flats in 3 trips. Finally bought new HT tires @ Lake City Auto. The challenge is you are trying to save time, which you won't save much. It's a good 2+ hours to Ouray from LC over the pass, maybe 2 1/2, and only around 3 if you go around north thru Montrose. Much more scenic of course the Cinnamon Pass route. GL!

Postby CookieMonster » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:05 pm

Did it in a 1998 Subaru Outback.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me

Postby RickSelah » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:06 pm

If you've got only a day and are already in LCity have you considered St Luis? Long drive to TH from LC, but beautiful thru back country and alpine ranches. Long hike thru pretty valley, and summit is no more difficult than Sneffels. Actually, easier. Just a much longer hike n prettier than Yankee Basin

Postby MtHurd » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:25 pm

Did it a month ago in a stock 4x4 Chevy Tahoe. Your vehicle should be fine. A couple of steep switchbacks when you turn towards Cinnamom Pass from Animas Forks but then not too bad after that.

Postby EM_in_CO » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:39 am

Here is a similar thread with a Engineer Pass and Cinnamon Pass discussion:
http://14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34200&p=407864#p407864

September 2011, took my factory 2010 Subaru Forester over Cinnamon Pass with few issues.

Postby herdbull » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Thanks guys. I'll keep this all in mind as I finalize the plans for the trip. San Luis is already on the list, as are the other ones I mentioned.

I may just hit up Harvard on the way back. I didn't want to but it's looking like a better option. It gets me that many more hours closer for the commute home. It's long enough as it is, no need to tack on another 5-6 hours. Plus there's more to climb over by Sneffels and I can do them next summer. At least I know the roads driveable and scenic so if by chance I get a head of schedule maybe I'll head that.

Postby MtHurd » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:34 pm

Drive over to Engineer Pass too, the view is amazing.