Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

USA Pro Cycling Challenge Road Closures and Delays

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: USA Pro Cycling Challenge Road Closures and Delays

Postby Tory Wells » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:52 pm

metalmountain wrote:
somethingrandom wrote:DEFINITELY glad we shut down roads paid for by gasoline tax dollars to let people ride bikes across 4 lanes!

I realize 14ers is filled with idealists who aren't inconvenienced and will happily flame me for the post but surely the idea is asinine. We are paying 40.4% tax on every dollar spent on gas and now get some of our most popular mountain roads shut down? Dumb.

I get that mountain towns benefit from the race and am happy to see it but to completely shut down highways infringes on the real tax payer's ability to drive on the roads he/she/we pay for....

Rant over (kind of).

Wow man...this isn't a weekend bike race. This is an international event. Sorry that you would have to drive around the section of road that is closed for a few hours. Relax...I would be willing to bet that this race in reality infringes little if at all upon your daily activities.

Absolutely, this is a BIG deal for the state of Colorado and the road closures should be a minor inconvenience to those not interested and prepared. I'm looking forward to going downtown and watching the final time trial. The turnout will make a Broncos game look like a saturday youth soccer match.

For those in Longmont who are seriously inconvenienced by the race...just be content in the knowledge that the roads you pay taxes for will be all yours again starting Monday the 27th. :mrgreen:
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby mountaingoat-G » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:49 pm

somethingrandom wrote:DEFINITELY glad we shut down roads paid for by gasoline tax dollars to let people ride bikes across 4 lanes!

I realize 14ers is filled with idealists who aren't inconvenienced and will happily flame me for the post but surely the idea is asinine. We are paying 40.4% tax on every dollar spent on gas and now get some of our most popular mountain roads shut down? Dumb.

I get that mountain towns benefit from the race and am happy to see it but to completely shut down highways infringes on the real tax payer's ability to drive on the roads he/she/we pay for....

Rant over (kind of).

Obvious troll post... Longmonster, is that you ?

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:18 pm

Another great turnout today. The most people I have ever seen at Indy Pass. And what a great ride from our own Tommy D. One of the best efforts I have seen in a major race. It took the fellas about the same amount of time to climb Indy pass today as it takes most of us to drive it, and they descended it at twice the speed limit. Can't wait for my VIP access to the Beaver Creek finish tomorrow. Get out there folks. Colorado should solidify itself as the cycling capital of the U.S.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Previous