Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

USA Pro Cycling Challenge Road Closures and Delays

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: USA Pro Cycling Challenge Road Closures and Delays

Postby ThuChad » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:05 am

It's on right now. I'm watching live. My Parents are at the finish in Telluride. I'm jealous.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

Postby gb » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:46 am

They're setting everything up right now for the Mt CB finish literally at my condo. So much fun last year! Might ride out to Cottonwood this year to check them out there.

Postby DurangoJenn » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:52 am

Watched the start in Durango this morning, was a lot of fun. I was surprised it wasn't very crowded, though. Lots of people, but nowhere near as many as I thought there'd be and easy enough to get around downtown and find a spot to watch the riders take off.
Attachments
pro cycle.jpg
pro cycle.jpg (129.14 KiB) Viewed 416 times

Postby Theodore » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:32 pm

Welp, so much for La Plata on Thursday! Hmmmm to drag the wife up Holy Cross, or take it easy w/ Huron...

Postby fleetmack » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:00 pm

Theodore wrote:Welp, so much for La Plata on Thursday! Hmmmm to drag the wife up Holy Cross, or take it easy w/ Huron...

It was quite interesting driving back to Leadville from the La Plata trailhead (SW Ridge) on 390 on Saturday when the Leadville 100 was on the 4wd road. I should learn to research these things better beforehand.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:09 pm

gb wrote:They're setting everything up right now for the Mt CB finish literally at my condo. So much fun last year! Might ride out to Cottonwood this year to check them out there.

Nice Frank, jealous. Wonderful turnout from the CB folk today. What a finish! I think the entire town showed up. Great to see. Get out and support all. This is something we want to keep and big crowds will insure it.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby mountaingoat-G » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Looks like my prediction is shaping up after today's Crested Butte Stage.

I saw it last year on Indy Pass & Lookout Mt. Pretty cool ...

Postby gb » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:23 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:
Nice Frank, jealous. Wonderful turnout from the CB folk today. What a finish! I think the entire town showed up. Great to see. Get out and support all. This is something we want to keep and big crowds will insure it.

You know, I don't want to brag, but the Durango and Tride turnouts seemed pretty weak. Stoked we came out today and for the 2nd year in a row, it was a great finish. Hope CB is an annual thing. I need to sober up before I head to Cottonwood ;) Good times!

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:57 pm

gb wrote:
RoanMtnMan wrote:

You know, I don't want to brag, but the Durango and Tride turnouts seemed pretty weak. Stoked we came out today and for the 2nd year in a row, it was a great finish. Hope CB is an annual thing. I need to sober up before I head to Cottonwood ;) Good times!

Agreed on the first stage, which worried me and prompted my congrats for the CB contingent. This is indeed a big deal for CO, the largest attended sporting event ever for the state. Over 1 million spectators last year. That's more than an entire season of Broncos home games. Get out there. Outdoor recreation is a big portion of our economy so we should support it.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby somethingrandom » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:20 am

DEFINITELY glad we shut down roads paid for by gasoline tax dollars to let people ride bikes across 4 lanes!

I realize 14ers is filled with idealists who aren't inconvenienced and will happily flame me for the post but surely the idea is asinine. We are paying 40.4% tax on every dollar spent on gas and now get some of our most popular mountain roads shut down? Dumb.

I get that mountain towns benefit from the race and am happy to see it but to completely shut down highways infringes on the real tax payer's ability to drive on the roads he/she/we pay for....

Rant over (kind of).
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby ThuChad » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:19 am

somethingrandom wrote:DEFINITELY glad we shut down roads paid for by gasoline tax dollars to let people ride bikes across 4 lanes!

I realize 14ers is filled with idealists who aren't inconvenienced and will happily flame me for the post but surely the idea is asinine. We are paying 40.4% tax on every dollar spent on gas and now get some of our most popular mountain roads shut down? Dumb.

I get that mountain towns benefit from the race and am happy to see it but to completely shut down highways infringes on the real tax payer's ability to drive on the roads he/she/we pay for....

Rant over (kind of).

Oh come on! Would you go to Europe and complain about the Tour de France? The this race could someday be that caliber if it were combined with the tour of Utah. It's in the top two or three best stage races in the US right now. The race will bring more tax dollars to your state than you will ever think about paying in a lifetime. Did the race inconvenience you or did you just eat some sour grapes?
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

Postby Bean » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:22 am

somethingrandom wrote:DEFINITELY glad we shut down roads paid for by gasoline tax dollars to let people ride bikes across 4 lanes!

Rant over (kind of).

I suggest you try crying about it. Meanwhile, those of us in the real world will enjoy occasional specially-permitted events that provide more of an economic benefit in a few days than your existence ever will.

PreviousNext