Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

USA Pro Cycling Challenge Road Closures and Delays

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

USA Pro Cycling Challenge Road Closures and Delays

Postby Chicago Transplant » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:19 pm

Just an FYI, mainly for mid-week hikers, that next week is the USA Pro Cycling Challenge through various parts of Colorado spanning from Monday 8/20 - Saturday 8/26. Due to the races, there are several road closures and restrictions at various locations and on various days. These include temporary closures that will affect roads used for trailhead access, including Cottonwood Pass Road (Yale), CO 82/Independence Pass (Elbert and LaPlata) and CO 9/Hoosier Pass (Quandary and DeCaLiBron). Many other roads will experience delays during the day due to the races, but will remain open.

Click on the following link and use the tabs to pick a day and read about the closures, what roads and what times these closures are in place. Thanks.

http://cotrip.org/content/usapcc/index.html
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Re: USA Pro Cycling Challenge Road Closures and Delays

Postby GregMiller » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Ouch, thanks for the heads up. It'd be nice if there was an overview map that had all the stages and which day the were, so we'd have an easy reference for when to not be where.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby colorado yooper » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:58 pm

farcedude wrote:Ouch, thanks for the heads up. It'd be nice if there was an overview map that had all the stages and which day the were, so we'd have an easy reference for when to not be where.

There is, here:

http://usaprocyclingchallenge.com/
To the High Crags!

Postby tlongpine » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:00 pm

farcedude wrote:Ouch, thanks for the heads up. It'd be nice if there was an overview map that had all the stages and which day the were, so we'd have an easy reference for when to not be where.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=usa+pro+cycling+challenge+route

2012_usa_pro_cycling_challenge_route_map_1.gif
2012_usa_pro_cycling_challenge_route_map_1.gif (48.5 KiB) Viewed 738 times
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby GregMiller » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Thanks for the map! I looked at their page for a bit, but couldn't find it. You must have better eyes than me.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby ajkagy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:16 pm

this year should be good...they cut the boring stages and added a few better stages!
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby ezabielski » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Still lots of sprint finishes, though, because towns want the race to finish inside the city, rather than on a mountain top.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:34 pm

Even if you haven't owned a bike since you were a kid, go see at least one of these stages, preferably a climb. Some of the best cardio athletes (doped or not) in the world. We really are fortunate that this tradition has reemerged in CO after a 20 year absence. Also the last time some of our own American cycling legends will be seen riding professionally. Go big George! Also an interesting view of how altitude affects people. The Euros dominate in Europe, but not in Colorado. It seems our passes are a little higher [-X .
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby mountaingoat-G » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Tejay Van Garderen for the win
Taylor Phinney takes final Time Trial
(my prediction)

Postby PaliKona » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:51 pm

I'll be on Indy Pass both days and Flagstaff on Sat. Cannot wait! Last year was amazing! Saw them roll into Crested Butte, then drove to Indy Pass, camped near the top, saw them the next day, then saw them on Swan Mtn. Rd. en route to Breck...was total madness!

Postby rocky » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:46 pm

FYI - apparently there will be no camping allowed on Independence Pass this year. For info - check out the aspentimes.com and do a search for articles about US Pro Cycling Challenge or Forest Service.
rocky
south fork, colorado

Postby Tory Wells » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:47 am

Last year I watched all the stages live here: http://radioshacktourtracker.usaprocyclingchallenge.com/

Can't wait!
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Next