Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Montezuma / Peru Creek roads..

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Montezuma / Peru Creek roads..

Postby Waggs » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:35 pm

Tortoise1 wrote:
BeachAV8R wrote:and then trying Torreys via the saddle between Grizzly and Torreys..but I wasn't sure how steep that scramble is. I have the Roach guide and it mentions the route..

I told them I'd never heard of such a trail, and standing at the top of the lake trail looking over at the Grizzly - Torres saddle slope it was pretty obvious that there wasn't such a trail.

But 2 of the 4, a guy and a girl, took off up the slope, angling up from the Grizzly end at the bottom to the Torres/east end of the saddle at the top. They made it just fine, I'm guessing in about 20-30 minutes. It's pretty steep, looked greenish, not too rocky. It all depends on your skill level. Personally I wouldn't want to come down it tired, and I certainly wouldn't want to come down it wet after an afternoon shower.

From this view, I always felt that the Griz-Torrey's saddle was a kinder/gentler ascent. Getting "there" though may have been a new level of effort.

griz_sad.jpg
griz_sad.jpg (81.09 KiB) Viewed 388 times

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby BeachAV8R » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:02 pm

Waggs wrote:From this view, I always felt that the Griz-Torrey's saddle was a kinder/gentler ascent. Getting "there" though may have been a new level of effort.

It doesn't sound too hard.. LOL.. According to Roach (if posting a portion of the route is against the forum TOS let me know and I'll remove it):

Postby Magnum420 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:17 pm

From seeing it yesterday I didnt think it looked that bad, but I was about a mile away and looking at it straight on. I can never tell what a slope is really like until I'm right at the bottom of it looking up.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby BeachAV8R » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:33 pm

Follow on question - how are mosquitoes along Chihuahua Creek at this time of year? Will we get carted off..? <g>

Postby Magnum420 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:46 pm

I saw some up there the other day but I didnt end up with any bites. I was moving pretty quick though and never really stopped. There was alot of standing water(beaver ponds) in Chihuahua Gulch so I would guess it can get pretty bad. Overall the mosquitos dont seem too bad this summer but they are still out there.

Postby TravelingMatt » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:32 pm

I was up Chihuahua Gulch today (did Lenawee). Not a problem.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:01 am

Here's a ho-hum story.
Several years ago the plan was to drive up Chihuahua Gulch and climb Torrey's via the saddle. Just a few feet up the gulch road we were met with logs and planks and barbed wire and signs saying the road was closed.
The revised plan took us up Grey's from the Peru Mine area and then to Torrey's and back over Grey's and at 14 degrees for most of an October day it made for a longer day than planned.
The fun was when we were driving back down Peru Gulch someone had abandoned his car in a spot between a steep upslope and the creek. L S S; we managed to use the brush on the creek bank to hold the explorer into the road enough to scrape along the side of the abandoned car without scratching up the paint on the rental too badly. We never did find the driver, no note, nothing. Too, after a long cold day that resembled a "mini epic" we drove past guys in shorts playing golf at Keystone. I guess we're just sissies.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby summitrunner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:29 am

I was just up there yesterday in my stock Explorer Sport Trac. We hiked Argentine Pass at the end of the road. The Peru Creek Road to Chihuahua Gulch jeep road was not bad. Past the Chihuahua Gulch Jeep Road on Peru Creek Road had some nasty spots in it...but to shatter my ego a rental Ford Tarus was sitting up there at the end of the road. We assumed it was someone hiking Grays from there. Just drive slowly, avoid big rocks/holes, and you will be fine. The dust was the worst part.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE

Postby BeachAV8R » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:21 pm

LOL..the Ford Taurus's are impressive!

We did manage to secure a light 4x4 for the trip..so we should be in good shape getting to Chihuahua Gulch.. I'm also heartened by THIS trip report of some guys that went up Chihuahua to the saddle between Grizzly and Torreys. That doesn't look too bad. So the original plan of perhaps heading up the southwest ridge of Grays via Ruby Gulch, then over to Torreys, then down to Chihuahua via the Grizzly/Torreys saddle might actually work. We'll have to assess how worn out we after (hopefully) making it up the SW ridge to Grays.

I don't think we are going to hike very far in on the Chihuahua Gulch road. I'd rather not lug a ton of gear too far, so we might try to find a nice site just a couple miles in (maybe near where Ruby Gulch branches off).

Again - thanks for all the tips and recent observations. I'll have climbed them both mentally multiple times before I ever set foot on the mountain.. ;)

Postby BeachAV8R » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Darn - one more question. Should I bring a fly rod for those lakes in Chihuahua Gulch? I fly fish a lot here in the Carolinas and would love to wet a line there since we'll probably have some spare time on the first day. If it is worth it, I'll get an out of state license for the week (or however they do it in Colorado..)..

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Google the CDOW and get your fishing license online for however many days as you wish. It is not as complicated as one for NC.
I was told there are fish in the ponds in Chihuahua Gulch, and I saw potential fisherment the first time I was there, but I don't have personal experience fishing there.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby Magnum420 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:31 pm

I think there were a few camp sites before the Ruby Gulch fork. There were good sites once you got into the basin.

Fishing - I saw some small fish jumping in some of the beaver ponds but I really wasnt paying attention, so maybe someone else can give some better info. You probably wont find fish in Peru Creek, Im pretty sure its a dead water system until somewhere around keystone. You will be close to some good fishing though. The Snake River where it enters Lake Dillon can be good, and I frequently fish the Blue River from the Dillon Dam in Silverthorne north to Green Mountain Res (Gold Medal Waters).

PreviousNext