Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Montezuma / Peru Creek roads..

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Montezuma / Peru Creek roads..

Postby BeachAV8R » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:19 pm

Having fun just scanning around with Google Earth. Anyone know what this building is in the middle of Chihuahua Gulch? Looks like it has a fire pit next to it..?

Postby Magnum420 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:21 pm

hmm.. no idea on that building, wish I had known about it before I went up there. Come to think of it, I did see a faint road right around there, I thought it was going to some camp sites. If I had to guess I'd say it has something to do with mining.

Not really sure what OFF LUMBER means. Im thinking it saying not to cut trees or take dead trees for campfires near there, but I'm not sure.

Charlotte? I lived in Raleigh(Cary) for about 15 years, still have family in Charlotte and Raleigh. Now I live about 20min from peru creek rd. :)

In your topo map, the sign was right about where the black line crosses the route. The red circle below, ruby gulch is on the right. Its on one of the posts in photo #4 of the SW Ridge route description for Grays, Route 8, about 30-40 yards past the junction in photo #3.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby Waggs » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:29 pm

BeachAV8R wrote:Having fun just scanning around with Google Earth. Anyone know what this building is in the middle of Chihuahua Gulch? Looks like it has a fire pit next to it..?

It's a cabin:

cabin.jpg
cabin.jpg (67.28 KiB) Viewed 226 times

I attempted G&T a few times last winter and followed some tracks to it.

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby BeachAV8R » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:54 pm

Magnum420 wrote:Charlotte? I lived in Raleigh(Cary) for about 15 years, still have family in Charlotte and Raleigh. Now I live about 20min from peru creek rd. :)

Lucky dog.. I get to Raleigh a lot. I'm an air ambulance pilot and we fly Duke and UNCs teams quite a bit. The Raleigh area has exploded the past 10 years. Pretty good jobs market and all around good things happening there. Of course, I'd rather be in Colorado...

In your topo map, the sign was right about where the black line crosses the route.

Thanks - yeah, I was thinking that black line might mean the termination of the drivable part of the route (for those with 4x4 capable anyway..)

Waggs wrote:It's a cabin...

Ah..cool. Yeah..my first guess was some sort of covered mine area or something. I'm guessing the cabin is one private property.

Hmm.. Well, I don't know what we're going to do. Walk around the sign or pick another route I guess. The south ridge looks nice too..but Horseshoe Basin looks like it doesn't have much trees in it. I guess we could also consider just forging north and camping up near Chihuahua Lake and then trying Torreys via the saddle between Grizzly and Torreys..but I wasn't sure how steep that scramble is. I have the Roach guide and it mentions the route..

Darn that sign. They couldn't wait a couple weeks to put it up? ;)

Postby Dinzy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:45 am

Regarding the "stay off the lumber" note on the no trespassing sign:

Farther up the valley (up the trail with the no trespassing sign), there was an old mining cabin and some mining structures that the owners of the land are tearing down. They are stacking the wood into a pile and there are more signs up there to stay off the lumber. My guess is that it is for liability purposes. If you were up there and got hurt playing on the lumber pile, I think that you could technically sue the land owners. But if they have these signs posted, it covers their butts. I ain't no lawyer, so that is just my humble guess.

Postby BeachAV8R » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:55 am

That all sounds reasonable. Where that sign is posted must be on their private property because I did a search about Colorado public lands and it does state that private landholders cannot bar access to public lands. My assumption is that that road where the sign is posted is not a forest service road. Liability sounds about right..
Last edited by BeachAV8R on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Magnum420 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Yeah, that sounds better... Without going up there its hard to tell what they mean by LUMBER. I'll be right next door the the Forest Service Information building in Silverthorne today, I might pop in and ask about the sign.

Thanks - yeah, I was thinking that black line might mean the termination of the drivable part of the route (for those with 4x4 capable anyway..)

Its hard to tell but I think it's the fork in the road. The end of the road is only a couple hundred yards (if that) past the fork. If you look at google earth, you can see two vehicles parked at the end of the road.

The trees looked to end just past the end of the jeep road, looked pretty exposed past that.

Postby BeachAV8R » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:34 pm

One more question for you guys since I have a captive audience (lol).. I understand the water/stream is contaminated from mining tailings up there. My question is - does that contamination extend upstream from the termination of the mining area being torn down or is that water fairly clean? Trying to figure out how much water we'll have to lug up there. I'm not adverse to ingesting some chemicals here and there as long as I don't start glowing that night. ;)

BeachAV8R

Postby Magnum420 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:46 pm

Thats a good question.. I'll try to remember to ask if I make it to the FS Ranger Station today. I know the water to really be careful of is in Peru Creek.

The water in Chihuahua Gulch and coming out of Ruby Gulch looked ok. I stress LOOKED ok as I did not test it or drink it or anything. I dont recall a slimy residue on the rocks, the water was very clear, and I saw fish and such in the beaver ponds. That being said, its hard to tell just from looking at the water so I'd still be careful. I'll let you know if I find anything out from the FS.

Postby Magnum420 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:34 pm

Here is what I found out from the FS. The lady I talked to, who knew that area well, was not aware of the no trespassing sign. The maps she had has the same claims as the topo in this thread but it has the road going around all but the last narrow claim. She also said that she was not aware of any hiking re-routes in that area or anyone coming to them saying they are going to close the area to hikers. She did give me the phone# of someone else in the FS to call who might have more info. I'll let you know if I find anything else out.

Water - She said that the water in Chihuahua Gulch should be good to drink but must be filtered. She said Peru Creek is really bad and should be avoided. I'd still try to take my water from above the mining areas, but thats just me, again it looked pretty clean yesterday.

Postby Tortoise1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:05 pm

BeachAV8R wrote:and then trying Torreys via the saddle between Grizzly and Torreys..but I wasn't sure how steep that scramble is. I have the Roach guide and it mentions the route..

The very day that the sign turned me around I went up to Chihuahua Lake, and ran into 4 people looking for the trail "up to the saddle" mentioned in "the book", which I now figure must be the Roach book. I told them I'd never heard of such a trail, and standing at the top of the lake trail looking over at the Grizzly - Torres saddle slope it was pretty obvious that there wasn't such a trail.

But 2 of the 4, a guy and a girl, took off up the slope, angling up from the Grizzly end at the bottom to the Torres/east end of the saddle at the top. They made it just fine, I'm guessing in about 20-30 minutes. It's pretty steep, looked greenish, not too rocky. It all depends on your skill level. Personally I wouldn't want to come down it tired, and I certainly wouldn't want to come down it wet after an afternoon shower.

Postby BeachAV8R » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks Magnum and Tortoise..that is all really good information. I really appreciate it.

We'll bring a filter..I know none of the hiking filters can filter out heavy metals and bad stuff like that..which is all I'm worried about. Biological stuff the filter can handle..just don't want to be drinking arsenic or mercury or whatever they used up there.. <g>

Regarding the Grizzly/Torreys saddle. Yeah..I'd be game for going up the southwest ridge of Grays and making a big loop out of it (hitting Torreys then coming down the saddle between Grizzly/Torreys), but my girlfriend isn't to crazy about steep stuff. She raises her eyebrow any time I start talking about taking the "scenic" or "less crowded" route <g>. She hung tough on Longs a few years back though. She pooped out on the Narrows and the exposure kind of got to her there. I'm guessing the hike down the Grizzly/Torreys saddle wouldn't be too bad compared to what she saw on Longs:

Poor thing..LOL..she said that was a defining moment in her life and she realized that small stuff really was small stuff. I want to keep it sane this time and get her to the top of her first 14er...

Thanks for all the help guys..very much appreciated..

BeachAV8R

PreviousNext