Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Montezuma / Peru Creek roads..

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Montezuma / Peru Creek roads..

Postby BeachAV8R » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:34 pm

Hello..

Flying in to Denver in a couple weeks and trying to figure out what kind of rental car will be adequate for our purposes. We are planning to hike up Chihuahua Gulch to Ruby Gulch and hike up Grays southwest ridge. Probably planning to just park at the Chihuahua Gulch trailhead. We are staying our first night in Keystone. What type of vehicle would we need for the drive to Chihuahua Gulch trailhead..? Would a RAV4 work..?

Thanks..!
BeachAV8R

Re: Montezuma / Peru Creek roads..

Postby Dinzy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Subarus routinely make it to the start of Chihuahua but a RAV4 (or any SUV with decent clearance) would be better. There are some rocks and ruts that have scraped up quite a few undercarriages. Do not attempt to drive up Chihuahua in a rental. You will be sorry.

Postby Magnum420 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:29 pm

I havent been up that way this year, but last year I got my Corolla to the start of the Chihuahua Gulch jeep road without much trouble. Couple of spots I had to be careful but it wasnt bad. With a rental vehicle, I'd prob want at minimum a subaru or something with a little more clearance than a Corolla. I'll be up that way in the next couple of days, I'll let you know what the road is like.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby BeachAV8R » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:20 pm

LOL..I'm hell on rental vehicles. There was this one time..in Costa Rica.. :-" ... A story for another time..

I'd appreciate a "road report" if you get up there. Hertz has RAV4s for rental at Denver International..so I'll probably grab one of those. I think we are resigned to hike from the TH since I definitely don't want to get a rental stuck up Chihuahua Gulch. I've seen some pics and it looks like a pretty gnarly 4x4 road.

Thanks for the tips. One other quick question - we can't fly with a JetBoil cannister - is there a outdoors supply store in Keystone or do I need to find an REI or something over in Denver?

Regards,

BeachAV8R

Postby TravelingMatt » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:45 pm

Any SUV will be fine all the way to the gate on Peru Creek Road. Subarus should be OK but may have to take some stretches slowly.

Hertz in Aspen tried to stick me with a Subaru once when I reserved an SUV, but usually out of DEN I ended up with a MORE rugged vehicle than I had reserved. Then I moved here.

There's a Sports Authority in Dillon in the shopping center adjacent to the City Market. Should have anything you need for simple overnight camping and it is open until at least 9 pm.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Tortoise1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:09 pm

There's been some repairs to that road recently - you could probably get to the Chihuahua Lake turnoff in a Corvette, although I'd want it to be a rental Corvette. Going further on Peru Creek road or up Chihuahua Gulch you need 4wd and clearance. I suspect the road repairs may be related to the fact that there's a new house breaking ground on north side of the road near the start of the Lenawee Trail.

Be advised that there's now a fairly serious looking "no trespassing" sign near the turnoff to Ruby Gulch, on the left post in photo #4. I know what it means but I'm not sure what exact land area it's supposed to encompass. It turned me around a couple days ago. With 4wd you could go to the end of Peru Creek Road (Argentine Pass trailhead?) and do the south ridge of Gray's.

Postby ATK » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:03 pm

Last weekend I saw an old Civic parked just before the road crosses Peru Creek at the Pennsylvania Mine. You can get pretty far in a sedan if you're keen to give'r.

Postby BeachAV8R » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:49 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:There's a Sports Authority in Dillon in the shopping center adjacent to the City Market. Should have anything you need for simple overnight camping and it is open until at least 9 pm.

Thanks..good information there. I'm sure I can pick up a fuel canister there.

Tortoise1 wrote:Be advised that there's now a fairly serious looking "no trespassing" sign near the turnoff to Ruby Gulch, on the left post in photo #4. I know what it means but I'm not sure what exact land area it's supposed to encompass. It turned me around a couple days ago. With 4wd you could go to the end of Peru Creek Road (Argentine Pass trailhead?) and do the south ridge of Gray's.

Oh really? Jeez. Yeah, I'm familiar with Photo #4..been reading the awesome trip report for weeks now <g>. The topo map on the Dillon Ranger District site (I think is where I grabbed it) seems to outline private lands - and it would appear that only portions of Ruby Gulch are privately held. Perhaps the sign is on private land for liability reasons? Based on that map, if we planned to cross the gulch north to gain the Southwest ridge of Grays we'd have to traverse that long rectangle of private land. I wonder if it would really be a problem. The fact that the sign is new isn't encouraging though.

Thanks for the alternative tip though. I was looking forward to the forested area of the hike in Chihuahua. Depending on how we were feeling (or not) I was considering doing both Grays and Torreys and coming down the saddle betwen Torreys and Grizzly Peak.

BeachAV8R

Postby BeachAV8R » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:53 pm

ATK wrote:Last weekend I saw an old Civic parked just before the road crosses Peru Creek at the Pennsylvania Mine. You can get pretty far in a sedan if you're keen to give'r.

LOL..maybe I should drive my CRX with 310,000 miles on it out there. It is the smallest SUV I've ever seen...

Postby BeachAV8R » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Funny..because it looks like the South ridge of Grays takes you through more private property (at least on this map) than the Ruby Gulch route. :-k

Postby Magnum420 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:45 pm

Went up Peru Creek to the start of the Chihuahua Gulch jeep road in my Corolla today. The parts of the road that used to be large puddles have been worked on but overall I'd say the road is a little worse than it was last year. That being said I still got the corolla up there without scraping the bottom, just very bumpy and there were a few places to take carefully. I'm sure I added to my Colorado pinstripe (tree branch scrapes). I dont think I would want to do it in a rental sedan but a subaru or Rav4 will be fine. Didnt go past the Chihuahua Gulch parking area so I cant tell you what peru creek rd is like past that.

I hiked to the end of the Chihuahua Gulch jeep road and there is in fact a no trespassing sign just past the turn off for ruby gulch.

The writing says "AND OFF LUMBER (OWNERS)" There is something scratched out under (OWNERS) but I couldnt make it out. No name, phone # or anything.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby BeachAV8R » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:13 pm

Magnum420 wrote:The writing says "AND OFF LUMBER (OWNERS)" There is something scratched out under (OWNERS) but I couldnt make it out. No name, phone # or anything.

Interesting. Any theories on what "AND OFF LUMBER (OWNERS)" means?

Where is that sign if I'm looking at that topo map I posted? If you could reference some tell-tale part of the map..I'd just be curious where it is. I'm trying to reconcile the sign with what the map shows..which looks like the 4WD road only just barely clips the private property rectangle just after the road turns sort of south south-east near the north fork of the creek there coming out of Ruby Gulch. I'm only a couple weeks away from heading out there..and would love to firm up my hike plan.. But that sign just threw me a loop..

Thanks again for the info..it is much appreciated. Coming all the way from Charlotte, NC - you guys are lucky you can always come back the next weekend after reassessing <g> <jealous>

Regards..

BeachAV8R

Next