Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Leadville 100 - will this restrict access to THs?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Leadville 100 - will this restrict access to THs?

Postby TabulaRasa » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Sorry if already posted.

I'm flying into Aspen this weekend and want to hike some 14ers - will there be road closures for the race on Sat/Sun that will affect our ability to get to the trailheads?

Re: Leadville 100 - will this restrict access to THs?

Postby RJansen77 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:11 pm

Which trailheads are you heading to? I don't think there will be any major closures unless you're planning on heading through the center of Leadville at 4am on Saturday morning (when the race starts). The road to Winfield (Huron Peak) will have runners on it but you can still drive up there, just be mindful of others if you do.
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby madbuck » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:35 pm

RJansen77 wrote:Which trailheads are you heading to? I don't think there will be any major closures unless you're planning on heading through the center of Leadville at 4am on Saturday morning (when the race starts). The road to Winfield (Huron Peak) will have runners on it but you can still drive up there, just be mindful of others if you do.

In the early afternoon, (I'd say between 1-4pm), traffic is heavy and moves slowly on the road to Winfield. And, last year, traffic actually was restricted/blocked to Winfield around 1:30pm with many cars and runners competing for space on the road.

As for (heading towards) Aspen, Twin Lakes late morning and mid-late afternoon especially will have heavier traffic but no closures.

Postby TabulaRasa » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks guys - we were planning on climbing Huron Saturday, but it looks like that would be a beating.

What about the Missouri Gulch TH? Could we get that from Aspen (and have a place to park) without encountering runners?

Postby peter303 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:59 pm

Minor slowdown. I climbed Huron on the Saturday of the 100 run in 2010. The 2WD trailhead is about a mile beyond the half-way turn around point in Winfield. The runners share a couple miles of the drive-in road. But the help vehicles on the road will far outnumber the hiker cars, racing from the previous rondezvous at Twin Lakes.. The runners have a mandatory medical exam at the 50 mile point. I think pacers may be allowed after mile 50(?).

I was departing as the leads were just arriving between 12 and 1. The fastest runners finish 16 or 17 hours after starting at 4 AM. They get about 90 minutes of darkness at the start and end of their run. The "slowpokes" run all night. 2010 was a very warm weekend- well into the 80s at 9K feet.
The bulk of the pack probably reaches midpoint at 4PM. There may be the most congestion then. But if you start at dawn you should be gone long before the congestion.
Last edited by peter303 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby doggler » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:06 pm

TabulaRasa wrote:Thanks guys - we were planning on climbing Huron Saturday, but it looks like that would be a beating.

What about the Missouri Gulch TH? Could we get that from Aspen (and have a place to park) without encountering runners?

Missouri Gulch is on the same road, just further east. So, driving east to west from Hwy 24, you hit in order: Missouri Gulch TH, Sheep Gulch TH (where runners begin to share the road), and Winfield. I'm guessing Missouri Gulch will be pretty crowded in the afternoon as well...show up to climb early Saturday at any of these spots and you shouldn't have a problem. Just don't run me over on your way out! :shock:

Postby thebeave7 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:04 pm

I'd stay away from Winfield Rd if possible. This year they let in 950 runners, more than last year, and several hundred more than 2010. I paced someone out of Winfield last year and the road was stopped for miles starting around 11am or so. One possible change this year is that they built a trail alongside Winfield Rd so the runners shouldn't have to use the road except the last little bit. I have not heard whether they are officially using this trail this year or not though. If you do want to do Huron, then you'll have to get there early, and understand that if you try and leave any time before 5pm it'll be a disaster trying to get out of there. Also, since the 2wd parking area for Huron is going to be included in the race parking, not sure what the officials will do in regards to normal hikers. For Missouri Gulch you'll still have to deal with all the traffic turning onto the road then coming back, but you'll miss the main aid station and the section of road where the runners may be on it.

For Twin Lakes the town itself will be a complete mess and cars will line the road for miles. If you're going to somewhere like La Plata then it might take some extra time through town, but after that you'll be in the clear. If you're coming from Aspen, then you won't have to deal with the race if you go to La Plata. I'll be sitting in a lawn chair at Twin Lakes all day, drinking beer and waiting to start pacing around 6pm \:D/

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby madbuck » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:50 pm

Agreed above, Huron will likely be more more trouble than it's worth (IMHO), Missouri Gulch might be tolerable if you accept/plan for slower driving on the way out.

thebeave7 wrote:I'll be sitting in a lawn chair at Twin Lakes all day, drinking beer and waiting to start pacing around 6pm \:D/

Eric

I'm on pretty much the exact same plan, see you there! :iluvbeer:

Postby Sugar Madison » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:08 pm

thebeave7 wrote: I'll be sitting in a lawn chair at Twin Lakes all day, drinking beer and waiting to start pacing around 6pm \:D/

Eric

I'll probably be sitting next to you, drinking beer, and waiting to drink more beer. And maybe eating a big bacon cheeseburger... before going to bed early. \:D/ :D :iluvbeer:

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:44 pm

thebeave7 wrote:I'd stay away from Winfield Rd if possible. This year they let in 950 runners, more than last year, and several hundred more than 2010. I paced someone out of Winfield last year and the road was stopped for miles starting around 11am or so.

Wow! I'm so happy that I'm pickin up my runner at the Fish Hatch now.

On a side note, these Leadville races seem to be giant cash cows. Haven't done the 100, but having done the Lead Mary twice, I have seem people's face when they look up and see the climb that awaits them up Mosquito Pass. What I'm getting at (and some may get upset with me) is that I feel bad for these people who spent all that money and are frankly in over their heads. Perhaps a remedy is qualifying like Pikes does but I'm sure this would still happen.

Maybe some sign up for a challenge and to motivate themselves to train which is groovy, but still I can't help but feel bad. Whatever though, it's a free country I guess.

Run on!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby pudgy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:19 pm

I ran into a guy on Mt Yale Friday July 29th...I was trudging...he was running...with trekking poles...said he was training for the Leadville 100...he ran from the Collegiate Peaks Campground to the top in two hours..the kicker?? He was 72 years old!! There are no excuses!! Run on...and up!!

Postby ironman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:39 pm

So do you think the TH to Massive will be bad? We're going to climb that or La Plata this Sunday and were coming in from Buena Vista. Would getting a real early start help?

Next