Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rules on Car Camping at Collegiate Peaks Trailheads

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Rules on Car Camping at Collegiate Peaks Trailheads

Postby Project Ralphie » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:23 pm

I know there's an easy answer to this somewhere, but so far I haven't had luck finding it. I want to get an early start on Harvard-Columbia traverse tomorrow, and given my late arrival and early departure, it seems easiest to just sleep in my truck at the TH.

Does anyone know the official rules on that? Are overnights allowed only in designated areas?

Thanks.

Re: Rules on Car Camping at Collegiate Peaks Trailheads

Postby j babu » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:20 pm

I'm assuming you want the North Cottonwood Creek Trailhead, and yes, you can camp there. As a general rule, you are free to camp anywhere you like inside any national forest area. There are sometimes restrictions, and these are usually posted visibly at trailheads, if restrictions exist. Pay careful attention to locate and avoid private land (you must drive through private property to get to the N. Cottonwood Cr. trailhead). And in certain high-use or wilderness areas, other camping restrictions may apply (like camping in designated campsites only, camping away from lakes, streams or roadways, and/or the requirement of a backcountry permit for camping). But otherwise, once you cross into the national forest land, it's your land to use. The North Cottonwood Creek trailhead is wooded and offers plenty of dispersed camping options. Some people just sleep inside their vehicles.

Best wishes!